Date:	Sat, 28 Mar 2015 21:59:04 +0100
From:	MegaBrutal <megabrutal@...il.com>
To:	Linux kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net>,
	"David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: alx: Wake-on-LAN with Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171

Hi Johannes,

I have an ASRock B85M motherboard with Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171 NIC.

In dmesg, I see the NIC is claimed by your alx driver:
[    0.530351] alx 0000:04:00.0 eth0: Qualcomm Atheros AR816x/AR817x
Ethernet [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx]

In lspci, the NIC shows up like this:
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

While the motherboard manufacturer advertises the board supports
Wake-on-LAN, and I enabled it in BIOS, I can't activate it with
ethtool.

See what happens when I try:

root@...ost:~# ethtool p3p1
Settings for p3p1:
    Supported ports: [ TP ]
    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                            1000baseT/Full
    Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes:  Not reported
    Advertised pause frame use: No
    Advertised auto-negotiation: No
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: Twisted Pair
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: off
    MDI-X: Unknown
    Current message level: 0x000060e4 (24804)
                   link ifup rx_err tx_err hw wol
    Link detected: yes

root@...ost:~# ethtool -s p3p1 wol g
Cannot get current wake-on-lan settings: Operation not supported
  not setting wol

I'm wondering if it's because of the driver. I see alx is a relatively
new driver, and probably WOL support is not yet implemented. I'd like
to know if this is the case, or otherwise what might be the reason why
I can't use the Wake-on-LAN feature?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Regards,
MegaBrutal