Date:	Thu, 2 Apr 2015 09:49:32 +0100
From:	Morten Rasmussen <morten.rasmussen@....com>
To:	Jason Low <jason.low2@...com>
Cc:	Preeti U Murthy <preeti@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	"peterz@...radead.org" <peterz@...radead.org>,
	"mingo@...nel.org" <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@...aro.org>,
	"riel@...hat.com" <riel@...hat.com>,
	"vincent.guittot@...aro.org" <vincent.guittot@...aro.org>,
	"srikar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com" <srikar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	"pjt@...gle.com" <pjt@...gle.com>,
	"benh@...nel.crashing.org" <benh@...nel.crashing.org>,
	"efault@....de" <efault@....de>,
	"iamjoonsoo.kim@....com" <iamjoonsoo.kim@....com>,
	"svaidy@...ux.vnet.ibm.com" <svaidy@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	"tim.c.chen@...ux.intel.com" <tim.c.chen@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: sched: Improve load balancing in the presence of idle CPUs

On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 04:30:34AM +0100, Jason Low wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 18:04 +0100, Morten Rasmussen wrote:

> > > I am sorry I don't quite get this. Can you please elaborate?
> >
> > I think the scenario is that we are in nohz_idle_balance() and decide to
> > bail out because we have pulled some tasks, but before leaving
> > nohz_idle_balance() we want to check if more balancing is necessary
> > using nohz_kick_needed() and potentially kick somebody to continue.
>
> > Note that the balance cpu is currently skipped in nohz_idle_balance(),
> > but if it wasn't the scenario would be possible.
>
> This scenario would also be possible if we call rebalance_domains()
> first again.

Yes.

> I'm wondering if adding the nohz_kick_needed(), ect... in
> nohz_idle_balance() can address the 10 second latency issue while still
> calling rebalance_domains() first, since it seems more ideal to try
> balancing on the current awake CPU first, as you also have mentioned

I believe it could. That is where I was going with the chain-of-kicks
idea. I think the main cause of the unacceptable you are observing is
due to nohz_kicks only being issued at the tick. So if the balancer
pulls for itself first and bails out the next kick won't be issued until
the next tick or even multiple ticks later depending on
nohz.next_balance.

I haven't figured out if there is a reason for delaying the next
nohz_idle_balance() though.