Date:	Thu, 02 Apr 2015 18:35:06 +0200
From:	Yann Droneaud <ydroneaud@...eya.com>
To:	Haggai Eran <haggaie@...lanox.com>
Cc:	Shachar Raindel <raindel@...lanox.com>,
	Sagi Grimberg <sagig@...lanox.com>,
	"oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>,
	"<linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org> (linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org)"
	<linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org>,
	"stable@...r.kernel.org" <stable@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: CVE-2014-8159 kernel: infiniband: uverbs: unprotected physical
 memory access

Hi Haggai,

Le jeudi 02 avril 2015 à 18:18 +0300, Haggai Eran a écrit :
> On 02/04/2015 16:30, Yann Droneaud wrote:
> > Hi,

OK, thanks for the description.

> > (Aside, does it take special mesure to protect shared mapping from
> > being read and/or *written* ?)
>
> I'm not sure I understand the question. Shared mappings that the process
> is allowed to read or write are also allowed for the HCA (specifically,
> to local and remote operations the same process performs using the HCA),
> provided the application has registered their virtual address space as a
> memory region.

I was refering to description of get_user_pages():

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/mm/gup.c?id=v4.0-rc6#n765

 * @force:	whether to force access even when user mapping is currently
 *		protected (but never forces write access to shared mapping).

But since ib_umem_odp_map_dma_pages() use get_user_pages() with force
argument set to 0, it's OK.

Another related question: as the large memory range could be registered
by user space with ibv_reg_mr(pd, base, size, IB_ACCESS_ON_DEMAND),
what's prevent the kernel to map a file as the result of mmap(0, ...)
in this  region, making it available remotely through IBV_WR_RDMA_READ /
IBV_WR_RDMA_WRITE ?

Again, thanks for the information I was missing to understand how ODP is
checking the memory ranges.

Regards.

--
Yann Droneaud