Date:	Fri, 17 Apr 2015 00:55:13 +0000
From:	"Elliott, Robert (Server Storage)" <Elliott@...com>
To:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
Subject: RE: [tip:x86/pmem] x86/mm: Add support for the non-standard

That value was set aside on behalf of this pre-standard usage, to
keep future ACPI revisions from standardizing it for anything else.
The kernel should be just as safe in continuing to recognize that
value as it is now.

New legacy BIOS systems should follow ACPI 6.0 going forward and
report type 7 in their E820 tables, along with meeting the other
ACPI 6.0 requirements.

UEFI systems don't provide an E820 table; that's an artificial
creation by the bootloader (e.g., grub2) or the kernel with its
add_efi_memmmap parameter. These systems will just report the
EFI memory type 14. There was no pre-standard EFI type
identified that needed to be blocked out.

Any software creating a fake E820 table (grub2, etc.) should
map EFI type 14 to E820 type 7.

---
Robert Elliott, HP Server Storage