Date:	Sat, 18 Apr 2015 14:30:48 -0600
From:	Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>
To:	Ming Lei <ming.lei@...onical.com>,
	Dongsu Park <dongsu.park@...fitbricks.com>
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: panic with CPU hotplug + blk-mq + scsi-mq

On 04/17/2015 10:23 PM, Ming Lei wrote:
> Hi Dongsu,
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 5:41 AM, Dongsu Park
> <dongsu.park@...fitbricks.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> there's a critical bug regarding CPU hotplug, blk-mq, and scsi-mq.
>> Every time when a CPU is offlined, some arbitrary range of kernel memory
>> seems to get corrupted. Then after a while, kernel panics at random places
>> when block IOs are issued. (for example, see the call traces below)
>
> Thanks for the report.
>

>> This bug can be easily reproducible with a Qemu VM running with virtio-scsi,
>> when its guest kernel is 3.19-rc1 or higher, and when scsi-mq is loaded
>> with blk-mq enabled. And yes, 4.0 release is still affected, as well as
>> Jens' for-4.1/core. How to reproduce:
>>
>>   # echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
>>   (and issue some block IOs, that's it.)
>>
>> Bisecting between 3.18 and 3.19-rc1, it looks like this bug had been hidden
>> until commit ccbedf117f01 ("virtio_scsi: support multi hw queue of blk-mq"),
>> which started to allow virtio-scsi to map virtqueues to hardware queues of
>> blk-mq. Reverting that commit makes the bug go away. However, I suppose
>> reverting it could not be a correct solution.
>
> I agree, and that patch only enables multiple hw queues.
>

>> More precisely, every time a CPU hotplug event gets triggered,
>> a call graph is like the following:
>>
>>    blk_mq_queue_reinit_notify()
>>    -> blk_mq_queue_reinit()
>>     -> blk_mq_map_swqueue()
>>      -> blk_mq_free_rq_map()
>>       -> scsi_exit_request()
>>
>>  From that point, as soon as any address in the request gets modified, an
>> arbitrary range of memory gets corrupted. My first guess was that probably
>> the exit routine could try to deallocate tags->rqs[] where invalid
>> addresses are stored. But actually it looks like it's not the case,
>> and cmd->sense_buffer looks also valid.
>> It's not obvious to me, exactly what could go wrong.
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea?
>
> As far as I can see, at least two problems exist:
> - race between timeout and CPU hotplug
> - in case of shared tags, during CPU online handling, about setting
> and checking hctx->tags
>
> So could you please test the attached two patches to see if they fix your issue?
>
> I run them in my VM, and looks opps does disappear.

Hard to comment on your patches directly when they are attached. Both
look good to me. I'd perhaps change the ->tags check in #1 to use
blk_mq_hw_queue_mapped() instead of checking directly. Might even be
worth considering changing the normal iterator to skip unmapped queues,
but that can be left for a later change.

--
Jens Axboe