Date:	Mon, 20 Apr 2015 05:17:29 -0700
From:	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>,
	Rabin Vincent <rabin@....in>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: qemu:arm test failure due to commit 8053871d0f7f (smp: Fix
 smp_call_function_single_async() locking)

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 07:39:55AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > That's all fine and good, but why is an IPI sent to a non-existent
> > > CPU? It's not like we don't know which CPU is up and down.
> >
> > I agree that the qemu-arm behavior smells like a bug, plain and
> > simple. Nobody sane should send random IPI's to CPU's that they
> > don't even know are up or not.
>
> Yeah, and a warning would have caught that bug a bit earlier, at the
> cost of restricting the API:
>
> > That said, I could imagine that we would have some valid case where
> > we just do a cross-cpu call to (for example) do lock wakeup, and the
> > code would use some optimistic algorithm that prods the CPU after
> > the lock has been released, and there could be some random race
> > where the lock data structure has already been released (ie imagine
> > the kind of optimistic unlocked racy access to "sem->owner" that we
> > discussed as part of the rwsem_spin_on_owner() thread recently).
> >
> > So I _could_ imagine that somebody would want to do optimistic "prod
> > other cpu" calls that in all normal cases are for existing cpus, but
> > could be racy in theory.
>
> Yes, and I don't disagree with such optimizations in principle (it
> allows less references to be taken in the fast path), but is it really
> safe?
>
> If a CPU is going down and we potentially race against that, and send
> off an IPI, the IPI might be 'in flight' for an indeterminate amount
> of time, especially on wildly non-deterministic hardware like virtual
> platforms.
>
> So if the CPU goes down during that time, the typical way a CPU goes
> down is that it ignores all IPIs that arrive after that. End result:
> the sender of the IPI may hang indefinitely (for the synchronous API),
> waiting for the CSD lock to be released...
>
> For the non-wait API we could also hang, but in an even more
> interesting way: we won't hang trying to send to the downed CPU, we'd
> hang on the _next_ cross-call call, possibly sending to another CPU,
> because the CSD_FLAG_LOCK of the sender CPU is never released by the
> offlined CPU which was supposed to unlock it.
>
> Also note the existing warning we already have in
> flush_smp_call_function_queue():
>
>         /* There shouldn't be any pending callbacks on an offline CPU. */
>         if (unlikely(warn_cpu_offline && !cpu_online(smp_processor_id()) &&
>                      !warned && !llist_empty(head))) {
>                 warned = true;
>                 WARN(1, "IPI on offline CPU %d\n", smp_processor_id());
>
> Couldn't this trigger in the opportunistic, imprecise IPI case, if
> IRQs are ever enabled when or after the CPU is marked offline?
>
> My suggested warning would simply catch this kind of unsafe looking
> race a bit sooner, instead of silently ignoring the cross-call
> attempt.
>
> Now your suggestion could be made to work by:
>
>   - polling for CPU status in the CSD-lock code as well. (We don't do
> [...]

In the long term, support of "send an IPI to a CPU that might or might
not be leaving" will probably need an API that returns a success or
failure indication.  This will probably simplify things a bit, because
currently the caller needs to participate in the IPI's synchronization.
With a conditional primitive, callers could instead simply rely on the
return value.

							Thanx, Paul