Date:	Mon, 20 Apr 2015 13:19:35 -0700
From:	Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>
To:	Ralf Baechle <ralf@...ux-mips.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>,
	Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
	linux-mips@...ux-mips.org
Subject: Re: mips build failures due to commit 8dd928915a73 (mips: fix up
 obsolete cpu function usage)

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 10:06:42PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 12:40:28PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>
> > the upstream kernel fails to build mips:nlm_xlp_defconfig,
> > mips:nlm_xlp_defconfig, mips:cavium_octeon_defconfig, and possibly
> > other targets, with errors such as
> >
> > arch/mips/kernel/smp.c:211:2: error:
> > 	passing argument 2 of 'cpumask_set_cpu' discards 'volatile' qualifier
> > 	from pointer target type
> > arch/mips/kernel/process.c:52:2: error:
> > 	passing argument 2 of 'cpumask_test_cpu' discards 'volatile' qualifier
> > 	from pointer target type
> > arch/mips/cavium-octeon/smp.c:242:2: error:
> > 	passing argument 2 of 'cpumask_clear_cpu' discards 'volatile' qualifier
> > 	from pointer target type
> >
> > The problem was introduced with commit 8dd928915a73 (" mips: fix up obsolete cpu
> > function usage"). I would send a patch to fix it, but I am not sure if removing
> > 'volatile' from the variable declaration(s) would be a good idea.
> >
> > I don't recall seeing the problem in -next, but unless I am missing something,
> > the patch never made it into -next to start with.
>
> It was posted on March 2nd as part of a larger series.  Only this patch
> 9/16 was send to linux-mips and when I tested the patch it failed.  Back
> then I blamed it on not having patches 1 to 8 in my test tree so I didn't
> diver deeper into the issue and dropped the patch ...

Hi Ralf,

The patch failed all by itself, no context needed ;-). Anyway, since it was part
of a larger series, I would assume that it should have been added to -next as
part of that series, not through the mips tree. For whatever reason that did not
happen ... and as far as I can see, many if not all mips smp builds now fail
in the upstream kernel.

Any idea what the fix should be ?

Thanks,
Guenter