Date:	Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:23:28 +0200
From:	"Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@...e.com>
To:	Jason Gunthorpe <jgunthorpe@...idianresearch.com>
Cc:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>, mike.marciniszyn@...el.com,
	infinipath@...el.com, linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org,
	awalls@...metrocast.net, Toshi Kani <toshi.kani@...com>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Hal Rosenstock <hal.rosenstock@...il.com>,
	Sean Hefty <sean.hefty@...el.com>,
	Suresh Siddha <sbsiddha@...il.com>,
	Rickard Strandqvist <rickard_strandqvist@...ctrumdigital.se>,
	Roland Dreier <roland@...estorage.com>,
	Juergen Gross <jgross@...e.com>,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@....samsung.com>,
	Borislav Petkov <bp@...e.de>, Mel Gorman <mgorman@...e.de>,
	Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@...e.cz>,
	Davidlohr Bueso <dbueso@...e.de>,
	Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com>,
	Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard <plagnioj@...osoft.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Ville Syrj?l? <syrjala@....fi>,
	Linux Fbdev development list <linux-fbdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-media@...r.kernel.org, X86 ML <x86@...nel.org>,
	mcgrof@...not-panic.com
Subject: Re: ioremap_uc() followed by set_memory_wc() - burrying MTRR

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:39:39PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 01:39:07AM +0200, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > > Mike, do you think the time is right to just remove the iPath driver?
> >
> > With PAT now being default the driver effectively won't work
> > with write-combining on modern kernels. Even if systems are old
> > they likely had PAT support, when upgrading kernels PAT will work
> > but write-combing won't on ipath.
>
> Sorry, do you mean the driver already doesn't get WC? Or do you mean
> after some more pending patches are applied?

No, you have to consider the system used and the effects of calls used
on the driver in light of this table:

MTRR Non-PAT   PAT    Linux ioremap value        Effective memory type
                                                  Non-PAT |  PAT
     PAT
     |PCD
     ||PWT
WC   000      WB      _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_WB            WC   |   WC
WC   001      WC      _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_WC            WC*  |   WC
WC   010      UC-     _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC_MINUS      WC*  |   UC
WC   011      UC      _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC            UC   |   UC

(*) denotes implementation defined and is discouraged

ioremap_nocache() will use _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC_MINUS by default today,
in the future we want to flip the switch and make _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC
the default. When that flip occurs it will mean ipath cannot get
write-combining on both non-PAT and PAT systems. Now that is for
the future, lets review the current situation for ipath.

For PAT capable systems if mtrr_add() is used today on a Linux system on a
region mapped with ioremap_nocache() that will mean you effectively nullify the
mtrr_add() effect as the combinatorial effect above yields an effective memory
type of UC.  For PAT systems you want to use ioremap_wc() on the region in
which you need write-combining followed by arch_phys_wc_add() which will *only*
call mtrr_add() *iff* PAT was not enabled. This also means we need to split
the ioremap'd areas so that the area that is using ioremap_nocache() can never
get write-combining (_PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC). The ipath driver needs the regions
split just as was done for the qib driver.

Now we could just say that leaving things as-is is a non-issue if you are OK
with non-write-combining effects being the default behaviour left on the ipath
driver for PAT systems. In that case we can just use arch_phys_wc_add() on the
driver and while it won't trigger the mtrr_add() on PAT systems it sill won't
have any effect. We just typically don't want to see use of ioremap_nocache()
paired with arch_phys_wc_add(), grammatically the correct thing to do is pair
ioremap_wc() areas with a arch_phys_wc_add() to make the write-combining effects
on non-PAT systems. If the ipath driver is not going to get he work required
to split the regions though perhaps we can live with a corner case driver that
annotates PAT must be disabled on the systems that use it and convert it to
arch_phys_wc_add() to just help with phasing out of direct use of mtrr_add().
With this strategy if and when ipath driver gets a split done it would gain WC
on both PAT and non-PAT.

  Luis