Date:	Mon, 4 May 2015 18:27:31 +0100
From:	linux cbon <linuxcbon@...il.com>
To:	Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@...il.com>
Cc:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: how to have the kernel do udev's job and autoload the right
 modules ?

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Richard Weinberger
<richard.weinberger@...il.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 7:31 AM, linux cbon <linuxcbon@...il.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am experimenting a rc.sysinit without udev.
>> Only creating /dev with mount -t devtmpfs dev /dev
>> It also mounts /proc and /sys and /tmp and /var .
>> So the kernel boots up loading a lot of hardware, but some important
>> modules are not loaded , like sound, network and video.
>> I am not sure how to have them auto loaded by the kernel without udev ?
>> I though kernel would have some kind of auto-loading of the right
>> modules, without needing any help like udev.
>
> We have request_module() but it is not a magic bullet.
> You can re-invent a mini udev or just use udev.
>
>> I don't know the simplest and easiest way to achieve this ?
>> Thanks for your help.
>
> We have udev for a reason. :-)
>
> --
> Thanks,
> //richard

Hi Richard,

thanks for your answer.

use request_module() and reinvent a userspace mini udev ? Well thats
above my skills,
and I though the kernel was more magical. Do you know why not give a
"minimal" network,
 sound, and amd video support in the kernel, so that loading those
modules would be optional ?

I read there is mdev from busybox, but not sure if it's better or easier.
One last question : compiling the kernel with modules included would help ?

Best regards
Linuxcbon