Date:	Thu, 7 May 2015 23:25:23 +0100 (BST)
From:	"Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@...ux-mips.org>
To:	Peter Hurley <peter@...leysoftware.com>
cc:	Robert Schwebel <r.schwebel@...gutronix.de>,
	linux-serial@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	kernel@...gutronix.de
Subject: Re: earlycon: no match?

On Thu, 7 May 2015, Peter Hurley wrote:

> >  How does this overload interact with multiple `console=' options being
> > present BTW, which one is considered the early console?  Or do we support
> > driving multiple early consoles in parallel just as we do with regular
> > consoles?
>
> Please familiarize yourself with the existing 'console=' and 'earlycon='
> command line options documented in Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

 Thank you for your suggestion, however that documentation does not answer
my questions I am afraid (and neither does serial-console.txt).  Otherwise
I wouldn't have asked them in the first place.  If you don't know the
answers either, then it's OK to say: "I don't know".

 E.g. (given the parameter aliasing we have) will:

`earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8 console=tty0'
`console=tty0 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8'

do what I expect it to, that is open the UART at 0x3f8 as an early console
and then hand it over to the ttyS0 device as respectively a secondary and
the primary (/dev/console) regular console?  I've skipped options such as
baud rates for brevity.

  Maciej