Date:	Thu, 7 May 2015 14:39:07 +0000
From:	Markus Stockhausen <stockhausen@...logia.de>
To:	Maxime Ripard <maxime.ripard@...e-electrons.com>,
	Neil Brown <neilb@...e.de>, Shaohua Li <shli@...ionio.com>
CC:	"linux-raid@...r.kernel.org" <linux-raid@...r.kernel.org>,
	Lior Amsalem <alior@...vell.com>,
	Thomas Petazzoni <thomas@...e-electrons.com>,
	"Gregory Clement" <gregory.clement@...e-electrons.com>,
	Boris Brezillon <boris@...e-electrons.com>
Subject: AW: Possible RAID6 regression with ASYNC_TX_DMA enabled in 4.1

Hi Maxime,

I don't know if it might be related. I added support for RAID6 Read-Modify-Write
in software XOR with some patches. The following commit mangles some lines in
async_pq.c:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?
id=584acdd49cd2472ca0f5a06adbe979db82d0b4af

I introduced a new flag ASYNC_TX_PQ_XOR_DST that notifies the async layer
that we want to do a XOR syndrome operation instead of a full calculation.
This will enforce the software path because I guessed that hardware does not
support that case. Without hardware to check I might have missed some
checks in the async layer.

In the upper layer ops_run_reconstruct6 will set the flag if we determined
that rmw is faster than rcw.

Can you check if rmw_level=0 fixes the issue. See:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?
id=d06f191f8ecaef4d524e765fdb455f96392fbd42

> It seems to be generated by that warning here:
>
> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/crypto/async_tx/async_tx.c#L173
>
> And indeed, if we dump the status of depend_tx here, it's already been
> acked.
>
> That doesn't happen if ASYNC_TX_DMA is disabled, hence using the
> software version of it, instead of relying on our XOR engine. It
> doesn't happen on any commit prior to the one mentionned above, with
> the exact same changes applied. These changes are meant to be
> contributed, so I can definitely push them somewhere if needed.
>
> I don't really know where to look for though, the change that is
> causing this is probably the change in ops_run_reconstruct6, but I'm
> not sure that this partial revert alone would work with regard to the
> rest of the patch.
>
> Maxime

Markus
=
View attachment "InterScan_Disclaimer.txt" of type "text/plain" (1651 bytes)