Date:	Sat, 16 May 2015 15:38:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Lang <david@...g.hm>
To:	Mel Gorman <mgorman@...e.de>
cc:	Daniel Phillips <daniel@...nq.net>, Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	tux3@...3.org, OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@...l.parknet.co.jp>,
	Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@...hat.com>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: [FYI] tux3: Core changes

On Fri, 15 May 2015, Mel Gorman wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 02:54:48AM -0700, Daniel Phillips wrote:

>>> When I said it's not like page migration, I was referring to the fact
>>> that a COW on a pinned page for RDMA is a different problem to page
>>> migration. The COW of a pinned page can lead to lost writes or
>>> corruption depending on the ordering of events.
>>
>> I see the lost writes case, but not the corruption case,
>
> Data corruption can occur depending on the ordering of events and the
> applications expectations. If a process starts IO, RDMA pins the page
> for read and forks are combined with writes from another thread then when
> the IO completes the reads may not be visible. The application may take
> improper action at that point.

if tux3 forks the page and writes the copy while the original page is being
modified by other things, this means that some of the changes won't be in the
version written (and this could catch partial writes with 'interesting' results
if the forking happens at the wrong time)

But if the original page gets re-marked as needing to be written out when it's
changed by one of the other things that are accessing it, there shouldn't be any
long-term corruption.

As far as short-term corruption goes, any time you have a page mmapped it could
get written out at any time, with only some of the application changes applied
to it, so this sort of corruption could happen anyway couldn't it?

> Users of RDMA are typically expected to use MADV_DONTFORK to avoid this
> class of problem.
>
> You can choose to not define this as data corruption because thge kernel
> is not directly involved and that's your call.
>
>> Do you
>> mean corruption by changing a page already in writeout? If so,
>> don't all filesystems have that problem?
>>

> No, the problem is different. Backing devices requiring stable pages will
> block the write until the IO is complete. For those that do not require
> stable pages it's ok to allow the write as long as the page is dirtied so
> that it'll be written out again and no data is lost.

so if tux3 is prevented from forking the page in cases where the write would be
blocked, and will get forked again for follow-up writes if it's modified again
otherwise, won't this be the same thing?

David Lang