Date:	Tue, 26 May 2015 01:33:32 +0000
From:	James Bottomley <jbottomley@...n.com>
To:	"josh@...htriplett.org" <josh@...htriplett.org>
	"mchehab@....samsung.com" <mchehab@....samsung.com>,
	"davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"arnd@...db.de" <arnd@...db.de>,
	"dmitry.torokhov@...il.com" <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>,
	"geert@...ux-m68k.org" <geert@...ux-m68k.org>,
	"herbert@...dor.apana.org.au" <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>,
	"airlied@...ux.ie" <airlied@...ux.ie>
Subject: Re: [RFC v1] tree-wide: remove "select FW_LOADER" uses

On Mon, 2015-05-25 at 17:47 -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 09:29:51PM +0000, James Bottomley wrote:

> > > You can't do this in the completely general case without a SAT solver.
> > > However, I think it's possible to help the user a bit more than than
> > > Kconfig currently does without introducing a general dependency solver.
> >
> > Well the logically simplest way of doing that it to require that a
> > selected symbol can have no dependencies (but may select others) and to
> > make this what Kconfig enforces ... of course, our current Kconfig tree
> > violates this all over the place.
>
> Or enforce that it has no disabled dependencies.

That's what doesn't work: once you depend on a symbol that selects
something else, you have to evaluate the satisfiability condition again
recursively ... and that's a SAT solver.  Unfortunately, you need either
a heuristic that makes the logic chains simple or resign yourself to
doing it properly.

> > > In particular, it'd be nice to have an easy way to see at a glance
> > > "can't enable C because it depends on B", together with an easy way to
> > > get to B to enable it to get to C.  User-guided dependency resolution
> > > seems like an improvement over no dependency resolution.
> >
> > Sure, but it's mostly people like us doing it and find . -name Kconfig\*
> > -exec grep -3 <symbol> {} /dev/null \; usually does the trick for me.
>
> That's not particularly convenient from the middle of menuconfig when
> configuring a kernel.  It'd be nice to be able to navigate in one step
> from a symbol to its dependencies within the menuconfig interface.

Well, it works for me but, sure, do something you prefer ... I use make
config rather than menuconfig anyway.

James