Date:	Tue, 26 May 2015 11:21:40 -0400
From:	"someone called" <someonecalled@...e-mail.net>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: RAM encryption and key storing in CPU

Hello,

==========
Problem:

Everything is stored in plaintext in the Memory.

So if although full disc encryption is used on an ex.: Linux Desktop, it is possible to copy the content of the memory, while the notebook was on suspend or it was running:

https://citp.princeton.edu/research/memory/media/

Solution:

Can we (optionally*) encrypt the content of the memory and store the key for decryption in the CPU to avoid these kind of attacks in general?

Example patches (I am NOT related to them):

https://www1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/tresor

Is this solution already in the Linux kernel? If yes, how can a Linux enduser turn it on? If no, how can we get the code/idea in the mainline? What are the arguments against it?

*if someone would want to harden it's Linux Desktop (since notebooks could be stolen..) it could turn on this feature to avoid a policy to always turn off the notebook while not using it.

Thank you for your comments.