Date:	Wed, 27 May 2015 10:04:51 -0400
From:	Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@...il.com>
To:	Mosis Tembo <mosis.tembo@...il.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Tux3 Report: How fast can we fail?

On 2015-05-27 03:37, Mosis Tembo wrote:

> On 05/26/2015 12:03 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
>>> We identified the following quality metrics for this algorithm:
>>>
>>>   1) Never fails to detect out of space in the front end.
>>>   2) Always fills a volume to 100% before reporting out of space.
>>>   3) Allows rm, rmdir and truncate even when a volume is full.
>
> This is definitely nonsense. You can not rm, rmdir and truncate
> when the volume is full. You will need a free space on disk to perform
> such operations. Do you know why?

I assume you are referring either to Tux3 specifically or COW
filesystems in general, because you very much _can_ do any of those on
any of the non-COW filesystems in the Linux kernel (I know from
experience).  Also, IIRC, it was mentioned somewhere that Tux3 keeps a
small reserve of space on the volume for internal operations; and, I
would assume that if that is the case, it reports the volume full when
everything *except* that reserve of space is used, in which case rm,
rmdir, and truncate should work fine when the volume is full.

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (2967 bytes)