Date:	Wed, 03 Jun 2015 08:39:54 -0700
From:	Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>
To:	Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot@...oirfairelinux.com>
CC:	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, David <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
	Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
	Scott Feldman <sfeldma@...il.com>,
	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
	Jérome Oufella
	<jerome.oufella@...oirfairelinux.com>,
	kernel <kernel@...oirfairelinux.com>,
	Chris Healy <cphealy@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC 3/9] net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: add support for VTU ops

On 06/03/2015 07:56 AM, Vivien Didelot wrote:
> Hi Guenter,
>
> On Jun 2, 2015, at 10:17 PM, Guenter Roeck linux@...ck-us.net wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 09:39:50PM -0400, Vivien Didelot wrote:
>>> Guenter,

>>> Sorry for late reply. Initially, when issuing "ip link set up dev swp0",
>>> ndo_vlan_rx_add_vid was called to add the interface in the VLAN 0.

>> I think this may be on purpose; it is telling the switch to accept
>> packets with vid==0 (and untagged packets).
>>
>>> 2 things happen here:
>>>
>>>    * this is inconsistent with the "bridge vlan" output which doesn't seem to
>>>      know about a VID 0;
>>>    * VID 0 seems special for this switch: if an ingressing frame has VID 0, the
>>>      tagged port will override the VID bits with the port default VID at egress.
>>>
>> As far as I can see, the switch treats packets with vid==0 and untaged packets
>> as unknown if VLAN support is enabled.
>
> I am not sure about the untagged frames. But for tagged frames, the
> documentation says that frames with vid 0 will be overridden with the port's
> default VID.

The documentation says that untagged frames get the port's default VID assigned.

>> Anyway, sounds odd. Sure this isn't a configuration problem somethere ?
>
> If I'm not mistaken, other drivers do that. e.g. Rocker deals with VID >= 1:
>
>      for (vid = 1; vid < VLAN_N_VID; vid++)

Yes, but that won't help us. Again, the problem is that the switch drops untagged
packets if VLAN mode is set to secure and there is no VID table entry for VID 0
(or, rather, the port's default VID, which happens to be 0 in our case).
We'll have to solve that problem somehow. Using fallback mode isn't really a good
solution since it still treats untagged packets (and priority tagged packets
with vid==0) as membership violations.

It might make sense to set all ports to secure mode, but then we would always have
to create a VID table entry for vid=0 (or vid=default vid). Maybe we should just
do that, and/or keep 802.1q support on a port disabled unless it is explicitly
enabled by some means (such as adding an entry to the port's VLAN filter table).

Since we actually set the default VLAN to 0 in mv88e6xxx_setup_port_common(),
I wonder if you actually _see_ a problem with replaced VIDs, or if you just
assume that there would be one. Can you clarify ?

Thanks,
Guenter