Date:	Fri, 05 Jun 2015 00:29:38 +0800
From:	Jiang Liu <jiang.liu@...ux.intel.com>
To:	Mark Salter <msalter@...hat.com>
CC:	Hanjun Guo <hanjun.guo@...aro.org>, Al Stone <ahs3@...hat.com>,
	"Rafael J . Wysocki" <rjw@...ysocki.net>,
	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>,
	Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier@....com>,
	Liviu Dudau <Liviu.Dudau@....com>,
	Yijing Wang <wangyijing@...wei.com>,
	Lv Zheng <lv.zheng@...el.com>,
	"lenb @ kernel . org" <lenb@...nel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, linux-pci@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org, "x86 @ kernel . org" <x86@...nel.org>,
	linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org
Subject: Re: [Patch v4 0/8] Consolidate ACPI PCI root common code into ACPI
 core

On 2015/6/4 23:51, Mark Salter wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-06-04 at 14:41 +0800, Jiang Liu wrote:
>> On 2015/6/4 14:31, Hanjun Guo wrote:
>>> Hi Jiang,

>>> I failed to get io resources for PCI hostbridge  when I was testing PCI
>>> on ARM64 QEMU, I debugged this for quite a while, and finally found out
>>> that ACPI resource parsing for IO is not suitable for ARM64, because io
>>> space for x86 is 64K, but 16M for ARM64.
>>>
>>> This issue is only found when the firmware representing the io resource
>>> using the type ACPI_RESOURCE_TYPE_ADDRESS32, so the io address will
>>> greater than 64k.
>>>
>>> In drivers/acpi/resource.c:
>>>
>>> static void acpi_dev_ioresource_flags(struct resource *res, u64 len,
>>>                                       u8 io_decode, u8 translation_type)
>>> {
>>>         res->flags = IORESOURCE_IO;
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>>         if (res->end >= 0x10003)
>>>                 res->flags |= IORESOURCE_DISABLED | IORESOURCE_UNSET;
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> }
>>>
>>> so the code will filter out res->end >= 0x10003, and in my case, it will
>>> more than 64K, so we can't get the IO resources.
>>>
>>> I got a question, why we use if (res->end >= 0x10003) here?
>>> I mean 64k will be 0x10000, and in that case, we should use
>>> if (res->end >= 0x10000) here, not 0x10003, any history behind that?
>>
>> Hi Hanjun,
>> This is a special tricky for x86. You may read a dword(four bytes) from
>> IO port 0xffff, so the effective io port space is 0x10003 bytes.
>>

> Is there something in ACPI spec which would limit PCI IO space to 64K?
> PCI itself allows 32-bit IO addresses and at least some arm64 platforms
> use PCI bus addresses above 64K for IO transactions. From a PCI view,
> the (res->end >= 0x10003) check doesn't make sense. Am I missing
> something?
HI Mark,
	Something interesting here. According to my understanding,
the actually limitations are
1) the maximum size for each IO port space is 64k,
2) each PCI segment may only have one IO port space assigned at most.

Other than those, it's flexible for system designer to:
1) have multiple IO port spaces, each is 64K at most.
2) CPU may use MMIO transactions to access PCI IO space, and PCI host
   bridge will do the translation from CPU side MMIO address to PCI side
   IO port address.

For example, we may have following configuration on IA64 platforms:
1) CPU side physical address [0x100000000-0x100010000] maps to IO space
   [0x00000-0x10000] on PCI segment 0
2) CPU side physical address [0x100010000-0x100020000] maps to IO space
   [0x00000-0x10000] on PCI segment 1
And ACPI resource descriptor provides 'translation_offset' to support
such an usage case. Hope this helps:)
Thanks!
Gerry