Date:	Tue, 23 Jun 2015 09:22:40 +0200
From:	Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@...il.com>
To:	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Cc:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
	David Herrmann <dh.herrmann@...il.com>,
	Djalal Harouni <tixxdz@...ndz.org>,
	Havoc Pennington <havoc.pennington@...il.com>,
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	One Thousand Gnomes <gnomes@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Tom Gundersen <teg@...m.no>, Daniel Mack <daniel@...que.org>
Subject: Re: kdbus: to merge or not to merge?

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org> wrote:
>> The current state of uncertainty is problematic, I think.  The kdbus
>> team is spending a lot of time making things compatible with kdbus,
>> and the latest systemd release makes kdbus userspace support
>> mandatory.
>
> I stopped here in this email, as this is just flat out totally wrong,
> and I don't want to waste my time trying to refute other totally wrong
> statements as that would just somehow give them some validation that
> they could possibly be correct.

For the guys who not follow systemd development, this is the
announcement in question:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2015-June/033170.html

        * kdbus support is no longer compile-time optional. It is now
          always built-in. However, it can still be disabled at
          runtime using the kdbus=0 kernel command line setting, and
          that setting may be changed to default to off, by specifying
          --disable-kdbus at build-time. Note though that the kernel
          command line setting has no effect if the kdbus.ko kernel
          module is not installed, in which case kdbus is (obviously)
          also disabled. We encourage all downstream distributions to
          begin testing kdbus by adding it to the kernel images in the
          development distributions, and leaving kdbus support in
          systemd enabled.

Now kdbus is opt-out instead of opt-in.
Although I didn't test it so far, systemd should work just fine if
kdbus is not present
as it can fall back to dbus.

--
Thanks,