Date:	Wed, 24 Jun 2015 01:01:04 +0800
From:	Fu Wei <fu.wei@...aro.org>
To:	Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>
Cc:	Suravee Suthikulpanit <Suravee.Suthikulpanit@....com>,
	Linaro ACPI Mailman List <linaro-acpi@...ts.linaro.org>,
	linux-watchdog@...r.kernel.org, devicetree@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-doc@...r.kernel.org,
	Wei Fu <tekkamanninja@...il.com>,
	G Gregory <graeme.gregory@...aro.org>,
	Al Stone <al.stone@...aro.org>,
	Hanjun Guo <hanjun.guo@...aro.org>,
	Timur Tabi <timur@...eaurora.org>,
	Ashwin Chaugule <ashwin.chaugule@...aro.org>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
	Vipul Gandhi <vgandhi@...eaurora.org>,
	Wim Van Sebroeck <wim@...ana.be>,
	Jon Masters <jcm@...hat.com>, Leo Duran <leo.duran@....com>,
	Jon Corbet <corbet@....net>,
	Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@....com>,
	Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@....com>,
	Will Deacon <will.deacon@....com>, rjw@...ysocki.net
Subject: Re: [non-pretimeout,4/7] Watchdog: introduce ARM SBSA watchdog driver

Hi Guenter

On 24 June 2015 at 00:43, Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:17:19AM +0800, Fu Wei wrote:
>> Hi Guenter,
>>
>> you always can provide help very quickly, thank you very much :-)

>> > [ ...]

>> > The crashdump kernel is supposed to reload the watchdog driver, which will ping
>> > the watchdog. If it isn't able to do that in 10 seconds, something is wrong.
>>
>> yes, 10s maybe not enough for all case.
>> When I tested kdump on arm64, sometimes , it took 20s. So I am
>> thinking : can we make the max value of pretimeout > 10s in this
>> driver.
>>
> It takes more than 10 seconds to load the crashdump kernel,
> or it takes more than 10 seconds to complete the dump ?

It takes more than 10 seconds to boot into kernel(from panic to finish
devices init in crashdump kernel).
I thinks that maybe depend on hardware or soc.
As I said, 10 seconds maybe not enough for all cases.

For completing the dump, 10 seconds maybe not enough for some case(big
RAM, dump to network and so on),
that is why I added "ping without cleaning WS0" support in the second stage.

>> > It doesn't mean anything to anyone but you since it is not in a well defined
>> > time scale.
>>
>> maybe I should convert it to second?
>> I think the original value is better?
>>

> I think you should drop it.

OK, will do in my next patchset.

But my option is if hardware provide this info, and it can let admin
know the crash time.  maybe it can help to debug.
 :-)

--
Best regards,

Fu Wei
Software Engineer
Red Hat Software (Beijing) Co.,Ltd.Shanghai Branch
Ph: +86 21 61221326(direct)
Ph: +86 186 2020 4684 (mobile)
Room 1512, Regus One Corporate Avenue,Level 15,
One Corporate Avenue,222 Hubin Road,Huangpu District,
Shanghai,China 200021