Date:	Wed, 24 Jun 2015 18:41:52 -0700
From:	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
To:	Jeff Chua <jeff.chua.linux@...il.com>
Cc:	Martin Steigerwald <martin@...htvoll.de>,
	Andreas Mohr <andi@...as.de>,
	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>
Subject: Re: Stop SSD from waiting for "Spinning up disk..."

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 07:55:45AM +0800, Jeff Chua wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:28 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman
> <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:22:47AM +0800, Jeff Chua wrote:
>
> >> Both sda and sdb have the same SSD model.
> >
> > That's a bug in your USB bridge chip, odds are it is not reporting the
> > value properly.  There's nothing the scsi core or USB stack can do about
> > this, sorry.  Please complain to the hardware manufacturer.
>
> There are workaround boot cmdline parameters for other things ... any
> chance to consider  one to fix broken rotational option? I'm not sure
> how many out there are broken, but I really would like a faster way to
> access my USB SSD without waiting for the "disk spinup".

Just like module paramaters, boot command lines are not for device
specific attributes, sorry.  Again, please contact the manufacturer to
get this fixed.  We can't add a quirk for this bridge because it would
not work if you really put a rotational disk behind it.

Given the cheap cost of these types of bridges, I recommend just getting
one that works.

Best of luck,

greg k-h