Date:	Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:25:35 +0300
From:	Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...asonboard.com>
To:	Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@...inger.net>,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@....samsung.com>
Cc:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: V4.1-RC build error after commit 77a3c6f

Hi Larry,

On Sunday 12 July 2015 20:35:32 Larry Finger wrote:
> On 07/12/2015 06:10 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > Thank you for the report.
> >
> > On Saturday 11 July 2015 16:27:36 Larry Finger wrote:
> >> Beginning with the commit in the subject, I get the following build
error:
> >>     CC [M]  drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf2-core.o
> >>
> >> drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf2-core.c: In function
> >> ‘vb2_warn_zero_bytesused’:
> >> drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf2-core.c:1253:2:
> >> error: implicit declaration of function ‘__WARN’
> >> [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
> >>
> >>     __WARN();
> >>     ^
> >>
> >> cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
> >>
> >> My .config is attached.
> >
> > Indeed, __WARN isn't defined when CONFIG_BUG isn't set. My bad :-/
> >
> > I've send a patch to fix this (you've been CC'ed), could you please review
> > it ?
> >
> > And I've just noticed that I forgot to add your Reported-by: tag, please
> > feel free to add it to the review.
>
> I added my "Acked-by:" for the __WARN to WARN_ON part. In addition, the rest
> looks good.

Thank you.

> I do not need a Reported-by to be added. I'm a volunteer, thus it does not
> matter how many times my name is mentioned. Another one will never increase
> my remuneration.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be in a position to increase your remuneration even if
you were paid to report issues :-) Still, the point of the Reported-by: tag is
recognition of contributors. This topic is currently being discussed as a
canditate for the Linux kernel summit (see
http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-discuss/2015-July/001318.html for instance). Feel free to chime in, we mostly have long
time kernel maintainers in the e-mail thread, it would be nice to get the
point of few of volunteers as well.

> I have also submitted a patch to make certain that __WARN is defined even
> when CONFIG_DEBUG is not defined. It may not be accepted, but if it does,
> no one else will be caught this way.

Thank you.

--
Regards,