Date:	Fri, 7 Aug 2015 15:23:56 -0700
From:	"Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@...not-panic.com>
To:	Toshi Kani <toshi.kani@...com>
Cc:	Jan Beulich <JBeulich@...e.com>,
	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>,
	Jej B <James.Bottomley@...senpartnership.com>,
	X86 ML <x86@...nel.org>,
	Ville Syrjälä <ville.syrjala@...ux.intel.com>,
	Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@...6.fr>,
	xen-devel@...ts.xenproject.org, Dave Airlie <airlied@...hat.com>,
	Ville Syrjälä <syrjala@....fi>,
	Juergen Gross <JGross@...e.com>, Borislav Petkov <bp@...e.de>,
	Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen@...com>,
	linux-fbdev <linux-fbdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-media@...r.kernel.org,
	"linux-pci@...r.kernel.org" <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] RIP MTRR - status update for upcoming v4.2

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Toshi Kani <toshi.kani@...com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-08-07 at 13:25 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

>> > No, there is no OS support necessary to use MTRR.  After firmware sets
>> > it up, CPUs continue to use it without any OS support.  I think the
>> > Linux change you are referring is to obsolete legacy interfaces that
>> > modify the MTRR setup.  I agree that Linux should not modify MTRR.
>>
>> Its a bit more than that though. Since you agree that the OS can live
>> without MTRR code I was hoping to then see if we can fold out PAT
>> Linux code from under the MTRR dependency on Linux and make PAT a
>> first class citizen, maybe at least for x86-64. Right now you can only
>> get PAT support on Linux if you have MTRR code, but I'd like to see if
>> instead we can rip MTRR code out completely under its own Kconfig and
>> let it start rotting away.
>>
>> Code-wise the only issue I saw was that PAT code also relies on
>> mtrr_type_lookup(), see pat_x_mtrr_type(), but other than this I found
>> no other obvious issues.
>
> We can rip of the MTTR code that modifies the MTRR setup, but not
> mtrr_type_lookup().  This function provides necessary checks per documented
> in commit 7f0431e3dc89 as follows.
>
>     1) reserve_memtype() tracks an effective memory type in case
>        a request type is WB (ex. /dev/mem blindly uses WB). Missing
>        to track with its effective type causes a subsequent request
>        to map the same range with the effective type to fail.
>
>     2) pud_set_huge() and pmd_set_huge() check if a requested range
>        has any overlap with MTRRs. Missing to detect an overlap may
>        cause a performance penalty or undefined behavior.
>
> mtrr_type_lookup() is still admittedly awkward, but I do not think we have
> an immediate issue in PAT code calling it.  I do not think it makes PAT code
> a second class citizen.

OK since we know that if MTRR set up code ends up disabled and would
return MTRR_TYPE_INVALID what if we just static inline this for the
no-MTRR Kconfig build option immediately, and only then have the full
blown implementation for the case where MTRR Kconfig option is
enabled?

>> Platform firmware and SMIs seems to be the only other possible issue.
>> More on this below.

>> > The OS can disable MTRR.  However, this can also cause a problem in
>> > firmware, which may rely on MTRR.
>>
>> Can you describe what type of issues we could expect ? I tend to care
>> more about this for 64-bit systems so if 32-bit platforms would be
>> more of the ones which could cause an issue would restricting
>> disabling MTRR only for 64-bit help?
>
> The SMI handler runs in real-mode and relies on MTRR being effective to
> provide right cache types.  It does not matter if it is 64-bit or not.

I see... since I have no visibility to what goes under the hood, can
you provide one example use case where an SMI handler would require
getting a cache type through MTRR ? I realize this can vary, vendor by
vendor, but any example would do just to satisfy my curiosity.

>> > ACPI _OSI could be used for firmware to implement some OS-specific
>> > features, but it may be too late for firmware to make major changes and
>> > is generally useless unless OS requirements are described in a spec
>> > backed by logo certification.
>>
>> I see.. So there are no guarantees that platform firmware would not
>> expect OS MTRR support.
>>
>> >  SMIs are also used for platform management, such as fan
>> > speed control.
>>
>> And its conceivable that some devices, or the platform itself, may
>> trigger SMIs to have the platform firmware poke with MTRRs?
>
> SMIs are outside of OS control.  SMI handler relies on MTRR being set.  SMI
> must be quick, so the handler should not be required to initialize MTRR or
> page tables.

Right makes sense.

>> > Is there any issue for Linux to use MTRR set by firmware?
>>
>> Even though we don't have the Kconfig option right now to disable MTRR
>> cod explicitly I'll note that there are a few other cases that could
>> flip Linux to note use MTRR:
>>
>>   a) Some BIOSes could let MTRR get disabled
>>   b) As of Xen 4.4, the hypervisor disables X86_FEATURE_MTRR which
>> disables MTRR on Linux
>>
>> If these environments can exist it'd be good to understand possible
>> issues that could creep up as a result of the OS not having MTRR
>> enabled. If this is a reasonable thing for x86-64 I was hoping we
>> could just let users opt-in to a similar build configuration through
>> the OS by letting PAT not depend on MTRR.
>
> Case a) and b) do not cause any issue.  They simply lead mtrr_type_lookup()
> to return immediately with MTRR_TYPE_INVALID (i.e. MTRR disable), and the
> callers handle this value properly.  These cases are only problematic when
> the OS tries to modify MTRR.

OK if the OS returns MTRR_TYPE_INVALID, for folks who do not want MTRR
code on their kernel, we should be OK?

 Luis