Date:	Sun, 9 Aug 2015 19:48:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Lang <david@...g.hm>
To:	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Daniel Mack <daniel@...que.org>, Tom Gundersen <teg@...m.no>,
	"Kalle A. Sandstrom" <ksandstr@....fi>,
	Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>,
	One Thousand Gnomes <gnomes@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Havoc Pennington <havoc.pennington@...il.com>,
	Djalal Harouni <tixxdz@...ndz.org>,
	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	cee1 <fykcee1@...il.com>, David Herrmann <dh.herrmann@...il.com>
Subject: Re: kdbus: to merge or not to merge?

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> The issue is with userspace clients opting in to receive all
> NameOwnerChanged messages on the bus, which is not a good idea as they
> constantly get woken up and process them, which is why the CPU was
> pegged.  This issue should now be fixed in Rawhide for some of the
> packages we found that were doing this. Maintainers of other packages
> have been informed.  End result, no one has ever really tested sending
> "bad" messages to the current system as all existing dbus users try to
> be "good actors", thanks to Andy's testing, these apps should all now
> become much more robust.

Does it require elevated privileges to opt to receive all NameOwnerChanged
messages on the bus? Is it the default unless the apps opt for something more
restrictive? or is it somewhere in between?

I was under the impression that the days of writing system-level stuff that
assumes that all userspace apps are going to 'play nice' went out a decade or
more ago. It's fine if the userspace app can kill itself, or possibly even the
user it's running as, but being able to kill apps running as other users, let
alone the whole system is a problem nowdays.

It may be able to happen in a default system, but this is why cgroups and
namespaces have been created, to give the system admin the ability to limit the
resources that any one app can consume. Introducing a new mechanism that allows
one user to consume resources allocated to another and kill the system without
providing a kernel level mechanism to limit the damage (as opposed to fixing
individual apps) seems rather short-sighted at best.

David Lang