Date:	Wed, 12 Aug 2015 15:00:48 -0700
From:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
To:	Stas Sergeev <stsp@...t.ru>
Cc:	X86 ML <x86@...nel.org>,
	Linux kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [regression] x86/signal/64: Fix SS handling for signals delivered
 to 64-bit programs breaks dosemu

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@...t.ru> wrote:
> 13.08.2015 00:37, Andy Lutomirski пишет:

>>> But I mean also fs/TLS.
>>> There is a chance now to fix things for good, all at once. :)
>>> With such an ss patch applied to stable, there will be no more
>>> such a chance ever. What's your opinion on the possibility of
>>> fixing the TLS problem?
>>> Also I am not sure about the sigreturn()'s detection: is it
>>> a subject of the subsequent patch, or you dropped an idea?
>>
>> I think these things shouldn't be conflated.  If we can fix it
>> transparently (i.e. if my patch works), then I think we should do
>> something like my patch.
>
> OK.
> I'll try to test the patch tomorrow, but I think the sigreturn()'s
> capability detection is still needed to easily replace the iret trampoline
> in userspace (without generating a signal and testing by hands).
> Can of course be done with a run-time kernel version check...

That feature is so specialized that I think you should just probe it.

void foo(...) {
  sigcontext->ss = 7;
}

modify_ldt(initialize descriptor 0);
sigaction(SIGUSR1, foo, SA_SIGINFO);
if (ss == 7)
  yay;

Fortunately, all kernels that restore ss also have espfix64, so you
don't need to worry about esp[31:16] corruption on those kernels
either.

I suppose we could add a new uc_flag to indicate that ss is saved and
restored, though.  Ingo, hpa: any thoughts on that?  There will always
be some kernel versions that save and restore ss but don't set the
flag, though.

--Andy

--
Andy Lutomirski