Date:	Wed, 19 Aug 2015 23:54:35 -0700
From:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
CC:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>, Juergen Gross <jgross@...e.com>,
	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Brian Gerst <brgerst@...il.com>,
	Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk@...hat.com>,
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] x86 fixes

Yes, and MMX, SSE et al didn't have the envision trap support, so you would have to do a full decide and emulation inside the #UD handler.  However, the trap overhead for a lot of those instructions is extreme, as compared to the rather heavyweight x87 instructions (in terms of the ratio between the trap overhead and the actual emulation code.)