Date:	Fri, 11 Sep 2015 20:20:54 +0800
From:	"Wangnan (F)" <wangnan0@...wei.com>
To:	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...nel.org>,
	Kan Liang <kan.liang@...el.com>
CC:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Adrian Hunter" <adrian.hunter@...el.com>,
	Borislav Petkov <bp@...e.de>, David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>,
	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...hat.com>,
	Namhyung Kim <namhyung@...nel.org>,
	Stephane Eranian <eranian@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC 00/13] perf_env/CPU socket reorg/fixes

Hi Arnaldo,

I have tested patch 1 to 10. They looks good to me except patch 4/13. Please
see my email in that thread.

However, during the testing I found a limitation related to cpu
online/offline and 'perf top' that, if I offline most of cores before
'perf top', then online them during 'perf top' running, 'perf top'
dooesn't report new CPUs. It still reports the CPUs which are online
when 'perf top' starts consume 100% cycles.  So if CPUs are online and
offlined dynamically and there are many CPUs, user of 'perf top' may get
confusion result if he or she doesn't noticed that 'perf top' doesn't
listed all cores they have.

Here is how I did this:

  # for i in `seq 2 7` ; do echo 0 >
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu$i/online ; done
  # perf top -s cpu,socket

  The result is something like:

  Samples: 28K of event 'cycles', Event count (approx.): 23640606383
  Overhead  Socket CPU
    67.14%     000  000
    32.86%     000  001

Then online them:

  # for i in `seq 2 7` ; do echo 1 >
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu$i/online ; done

After a while, 'perf top' still reports two CPUs.

  Samples: 400K of event 'cycles', Event count (approx.): 38728257939
  Overhead  Socket CPU
    51.02%     000  001
    48.98%     000  000

And another 'perf top' report correct result:

Samples: 28K of event 'cycles', Event count (approx.): 24741565854
Overhead  Socket CPU
   27.26%     000  005
   21.07%     000  002
   13.07%     000  001
   12.69%     000  000
    8.07%     000  006
    6.75%     000  007
    5.64%     000  004
    5.45%     000  003

However, It is relatively a rare case. I don't think we have to fix it
in this
patchset.

Thank you.