Date:	Wed, 16 Sep 2015 13:26:51 -0400
From:	Josh Boyer <jwboyer@...oraproject.org>
To:	"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
	Eric Curtin <ericcurtin17@...il.com>,
	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
	Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@...il.com>,
	Steve Calfee <stevecalfee@...il.com>,
	Valentina Manea <valentina.manea.m@...il.com>,
	Shuah Khan <shuah.kh@...sung.com>,
	USB list <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>,
	Kernel development list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: First kernel patch (optimization)

Hi Eric,

First of all, thanks for your attempt and I really hope you haven't
been totally discouraged from future participation.  Getting a patch
into the kernel is hard, but I'm pretty disappointed with the

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 05:03:39PM +0100, Eric Curtin wrote:
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> As I said in the subject of the mail (which I have been since told I
>> shouldn't have done this), I'm a noob to kernel code. I tried to pick
>> off something super simple to just see what the process of getting a
>> patch in is. Youtube videos and documentation only get you so far.
>>
>> From reading your response, should I refrain from sending in these
>> micro-optimizations in future? Getting in smaller patches is easier
>> for me as I only do this in my spare time, which I don't have a lot
>> of!
>
> What I'd ask you to consider is what your end goal?  Is it just to
> collect a scalp (woo hoo!  I've gotten a patch into the kernel)?  Or
> is it to actually make things better for yourself or other users?  Or
> are you trying to get make your self more employable, etc.

He literally said he wanted to see what the process to get a patch in
was.  Instead of having seasoned kernel developers help him walk
through this, he gets patronizing responses.  Felipe has the only
reply in this thread that is actually good, so thanks Felipe.

> Micro-optimizations is often not particularly useful for anything
> other than the first goal, and it really doesn't help anyone.

That isn't true.  It helps the submitter understand the workflow and
expectations.  What you meant to say is that it doesn't help you.

> If you're just doing this in your spare time, then hopefully I hope
> you are being choosy about what's the best way to use your spare time,
> so the question of what your goals are going to be is a very important
> thing for you to figure out.  Regardless of whether it's worthwhile to
> get this patch into the kernel, doing any *more* micro-optimizations
> is probably not a good use of your time or anyone else's.
>
> I'd strongly encourage you to move on to something more than just
> micro-optimizations as quickly as possible.

Yes, sure.  But in the meantime, actually being encouraging and
helpful to a new contributor might pay off more in the long run.  You
guys might seriously want to consider doing that recruitment topic at
kernel summit.

josh