Date:	Thu, 17 Sep 2015 15:24:31 +0200
From:	"Wolfgang Wilhelm" <wilhelm@...tcomtec.com>
To:	stable@...r.kernel.org
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: problem with "serial" driver in kernel 3.16.0

We are a small company FAST ComTec GmbH
(www.fastcomtec.com) and produce multichannel analyzers
with Windows software. I am the software developer and
would like to get our software working also under Linux
with the help of WINE.

I was already successfull with our USB devices and most
of our PCI cards, but with one of the PCI cards
it does not work (in Debian v8, kernel 3.16.0).

Our PCI cards have a AMCC controller S5933, we use the
standard AMCC vendor id 0x10e8 and device id 0x8226,
device class serial. Most of our cards use two I/O port ranges
and an interrupt. I have written a linux driver for these cards
and could get everything working, but the interface card
for our MPA-3 multiparameter system uses only
one I/O port range and an interrupt. This card is recognized
by the "serial" driver in the kernel as a serial interface card
and there is no way to load our own driver.

My question is, could you remove in future kernel versions
the support for this card in the kernel our make it possible
to blacklist it in /etc/modprobe.d/fbdev-blacklist.conf
like other drivers that are not directly included in the kernel?

With best regards
Wolfgang Wilhelm
-----
Dr. Wolfgang Wilhelm, FAST ComTec GmbH
Gruenwalder Weg 28a, 82041 Oberhaching, Germany
Phone +49 89 665180 28, Fax +49 89 665180 40
mailto:wilhelm@...tcomtec.com http://www.fastcomtec.com
Handelsregister Muenchen HRB 73004
General Manager: Dr. Wolfgang Wagner