Date:	Tue, 27 Oct 2015 11:06:52 +0800
From:	Boqun Feng <boqun.feng@...il.com>
To:	Michael Ellerman <mpe@...erman.id.au>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linuxppc-dev@...ts.ozlabs.org,
	Waiman Long <waiman.long@...com>,
	Davidlohr Bueso <dave@...olabs.net>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Will Deacon <will.deacon@....com>, stable@...r.kernel.org,
	Paul Mackerras <paulus@...ba.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [RESEND, tip/locking/core, v5, 1/6] powerpc: atomic: Make
 _return atomics and *{cmp}xchg fully ordered

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 01:33:47PM +1100, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-26-10 at 10:15:36 UTC, Boqun Feng wrote:
> > This patch fixes two problems to make value-returning atomics and
> > {cmp}xchg fully ordered on PPC.
>
> Hi Boqun,
>
> Can you please split this into two patches. One that does the cmpxchg change
> and one that changes PPC_ATOMIC_ENTRY_BARRIER.

OK, make sense ;-)

> Also given how pervasive this change is I'd like to take it via the powerpc
> next tree, so can you please send this patch (which will be two after you split
> it) as powerpc patches. And the rest can go via tip?

One problem is that patch 5 will remove __xchg_u32 and __xchg_64
entirely, which are modified in this patch(patch 1), so there will be
some conflicts if two branch get merged, I think.

Alternative way is that all this series go to powerpc next tree as most
of the dependent patches are already there. I just need to remove
inc/dec related code and resend them when appropriate. Besides, I can
pull patch 2 out and send it as a tip patch because it's general code
and no one depends on this in this series.

To summerize:

patch 1(split to two), 3, 4(remove inc/dec implementation), 5, 6 sent as
powerpc patches for powerpc next, patch 2(unmodified) sent as tip patch
for locking/core.

Peter and Michael, this works for you both?

Regards,

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (474 bytes)