Date:	Thu, 29 Oct 2015 15:03:17 +0100
From:	Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu.vizoso@...labora.com>
To:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...ysocki.net>
Cc:	Linux PM list <linux-pm@...r.kernel.org>,
	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>,
	Grant Likely <grant.likely@...aro.org>,
	Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.og>, Rob Herring <robh@...nel.org>,
	Thierry Reding <treding@...dia.com>,
	Dmitry Torokhov <dtor@...gle.com>,
	Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>,
	Michael Turquette <mturquette@...libre.com>
Subject: Re: [RFD] Functional dependencies between devices

On 28 October 2015 at 16:54, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@...ysocki.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 03:26:14 PM Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

>> > In ACPI there is a mechanism for that already.  In DT it would require walking
>> > the phandle dependency graph I suppose.
>> >
>> > The point is, though, that it doesn't have to be mandatory to have any
>> > permanent links created.  If you can find a dependency at device registration
>> > time, great.  Create a permanent link for it and use it.  If you can't,
>> > it's fine too.  You'll find it at probe time and create a link for it then.

>> > That almost certainly is going to be a fair amount of work, but that
>> > doesn't mean we should avoid doing it.  If it leads to better code
>> > eventually, it's worth doing.

>> > I have considered that, but at this point I have some concerns about
>> > lifecycle management related to that.
>>
>> Hi Rafael,
>>
>> could you extend on why do you prefer inferring the permanent links
>> before probe as opposed to collecting them during probe from the
>> lookup functions?
>
> Information that is already available at the device registration time should
> be used at that time or it makes things harder to follow.
>
> But that really is a tradeoff.  If collecting that information requires too
> much effort, it may not be worth it.
>
>> Also, have you considered that not only drivers request resources? For
>> example, the on-demand probing series would probe a device that is
>> needed by an initcall, simplifying synchronization.
>
> You really need to explain what you mean here or maybe give an example.

There are initcalls that assume that a given resource is available.
Because of async probes, or because the resource's driver being built
as a module, or because the resource's driver gained a dependency
(direct or not), those initcalls break unexpectedly at times.

If resource getters could probe dependencies on-demand, those
initcalls would be more robust to changes in other parts of the
codebase.

AFAIUI, your proposal would help with a device's dependencies being
there when it's probed, but initcalls could still run into unfulfilled
dependencies.

I would personally prefer if those initcalls were turned into drivers
because that's the component model we have in the kernel, but that
doesn't seem to be a popular idea.

Regards,

Tomeu