Date:	Mon, 2 Nov 2015 09:22:41 +0800
From:	Boqun Feng <boqun.feng@...il.com>
To:	Michael Ellerman <mpe@...erman.id.au>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linuxppc-dev@...ts.ozlabs.org,
	Waiman Long <waiman.long@...com>,
	Davidlohr Bueso <dave@...olabs.net>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Will Deacon <will.deacon@....com>, stable@...r.kernel.org,
	Paul Mackerras <paulus@...ba.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [RESEND, tip/locking/core, v5, 1/6] powerpc: atomic: Make
 _return atomics and *{cmp}xchg fully ordered

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 08:56:33AM +0800, Boqun Feng wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 11:06:52AM +0800, Boqun Feng wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Boqun,
> > >
> > > Can you please split this into two patches. One that does the cmpxchg change
> > > and one that changes PPC_ATOMIC_ENTRY_BARRIER.
> > >

> > OK, make sense ;-)
> >
> > > Also given how pervasive this change is I'd like to take it via the powerpc
> > > next tree, so can you please send this patch (which will be two after you split
> > > it) as powerpc patches. And the rest can go via tip?
> > >

> > One problem is that patch 5 will remove __xchg_u32 and __xchg_64
> > entirely, which are modified in this patch(patch 1), so there will be
> > some conflicts if two branch get merged, I think.
> >
> > Alternative way is that all this series go to powerpc next tree as most
> > of the dependent patches are already there. I just need to remove
> > inc/dec related code and resend them when appropriate. Besides, I can
> > pull patch 2 out and send it as a tip patch because it's general code
> > and no one depends on this in this series.
> >
> > To summerize:
> >
> > patch 1(split to two), 3, 4(remove inc/dec implementation), 5, 6 sent as
> > powerpc patches for powerpc next, patch 2(unmodified) sent as tip patch
> > for locking/core.
> >
> > Peter and Michael, this works for you both?
> >

> Thoughts? ;-)

Peter and Michael, I will split patch 1 to two and send them as patches
for powerpc next first. The rest of this can wait util we are on the
same page of where they'd better go.

Regards,
Boqun

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (474 bytes)