Date:	Sun, 8 Nov 2015 08:55:24 +0100
From:	Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@...aro.org>
To:	Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
Cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Matt Fleming <matt@...eblueprint.co.uk>,
	Stephen Smalley <sds@...ho.nsa.gov>,
	Dave Jones <davej@...emonkey.org.uk>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>, Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>,
	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
	Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk@...hat.com>,
	"linux-efi@...r.kernel.org" <linux-efi@...r.kernel.org>,
	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...eos.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] x86/mm changes for v4.4

On 8 November 2015 at 07:58, Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 11:39 PM, Ard Biesheuvel
> <ard.biesheuvel@...aro.org> wrote:

>>> I think you misunderstood my suggestion: the 'fixup' would be changing it from R-X
>>> to RW-, i.e. it would add 'write' permission but remove 'execute' permission.
>>>
>>> Note that there would be no 'RWX' permission at any given moment - which is the
>>> dangerous combination.
>>>

>> The problem with that is that /any/ page in the UEFI runtime region
>> may intersect with both .text and .data of any of the PE/COFF images
>> that make up the runtime firmware (since the PE/COFF sections are not
>> necessarily page aligned). Such pages require RWX permissions. The
>> UEFI memory map does not provide the information to identify those
>> pages a priori (the entire region containing several PE/COFF images
>> could be covered by a single entry) so it is hard to guess which pages
>> should be allowed these RWX permissions.
>
> I'm sad that UEFI was designed without even the most basic of memory
> protections in mind. UEFI _itself_ should be setting up protective
> page mappings. :(

Well, the 4 KB alignment of sections was considered prohibitive at the
time from code size pov. But this was a long time ago, obviously.

> For a boot firmware, it seems to me that safe page table layout would
> be a top priority bug. The "reporting issues" page for TianoCore
> doesn't actually seem to link to the "Project Tracker":
> https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/Reporting-Issues
>
> Does anyone know how to get this correctly reported so future UEFI
> releases don't suffer from this?

Ugh. Don't get me started on that topic. I have been working with the
UEFI forum since July to get a fundamentally broken implementation of
memory protections fixed. UEFI v2.5 defines a memory protection scheme
that is based on splitting PE/COFF images into separate memory regions
so that R-X and RW- permissions can be applied. Unfortunately, that
broke every OS in existence (including Windows 8), since the OS is
allowed to reorder memory regions when it lays out the virtual
remapping of the UEFI regions, resulting in PE/COFF .data and .text
potentially appearing out of order.

The good news is that we fixed it for the upcoming release (v2.6). I
can't disclose any specifics, though :-(

--
Ard.