Date:	Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:32:27 -0800
From:	Jamin Collins <jamin.collins@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	Jarkko Nikula <jarkko.nikula@...ux.intel.com>,
	Jie Yang <yang.jie@...el.com>,
	Oder Chiou <oder_chiou@...ltek.com>,
	Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>,
	Bard Liao <bardliao@...ltek.com>,
	Steven Noonan <steven@...inklabs.net>
Subject: no sound on Meegopad T02 with 4.3 kernel

I'm having trouble getting sound working on a Meegopad T02[1]. I'm
running Arch with a 4.3 kernel[2] with patches[3] for wifi stability.

So far, the drivers appear to load, but produce the following dmesg output:

> [    5.579629] baytrail-pcm-audio baytrail-pcm-audio: ipc: error DSP boot timeout
> [    5.579841] byt-rt5640 byt-rt5640: ASoC: CPU DAI baytrail-pcm-audio not registered

No devices are listed in the output from 'aplay -l' (presumably due to
the above):

> $ aplay -l
> aplay: device_list:268: no soundcards found...

I've tried alternative firmware[4], but still get output like the above.

The system is a Baytrail compute stick (similar to Intel's Compute
Stick) and supports both HDMI audio and analog jack.

There appears to be a patch from Intel[5], but it's monolithic and
targetted toward a much older kernel.  It's also a bit unclear if any
of the patches were ever upstreamed.

Am I doing something obviously wrong here? If not, are there any
patches I can try to get this thing working?

[1] - http://x86pad.com/t02.html
[2] - http://git.uplinklabs.net/snoonan/projects/archlinux/ec2/ec2-packages.git/plain/linux-ec2/config.x86_64?id=0ca66a09e18e7294c9cf9a6df5b79247781e0c12
[3] - http://git.uplinklabs.net/snoonan/projects/archlinux/ec2/ec2-packages.git/commit/?id=0ca66a09e18e7294c9cf9a6df5b79247781e0c12
[4] - https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/vkoul/firmware.git/tree/intel