Date:	Thu, 19 Nov 2015 10:21:46 +0800
From:	"Wangnan (F)" <wangnan0@...wei.com>
To:	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...nel.org>
CC:	Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...nel.org>,
Subject: Re: perf BPF/elfdep intermitent build problems

On 2015/11/19 9:24, Wangnan (F) wrote:

> On 2015/11/19 6:44, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
>> Have you guys ever saw this?
>>
>> [acme@zoo linux]$ alias m
>> alias m='perf stat -e cycles make O=/tmp/build/perf -C tools/perf
>> install-bin'
>> [acme @zoo linux]$ m
>> make: Entering directory '/home/git/linux/tools/perf'
>>    BUILD:   Doing 'make -j4' parallel build
>> make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'fixdep'.
>>    CC       /tmp/build/perf/util/machine.o
>>    LD       /tmp/build/perf/util/libperf-in.o
>> No libelf found
>> BPF API too old
>
> This error message means the kernel header in rootfs is too old,
> causes tools/build/feature/test-bpf.c failed to be built.

Strange... even in feature detection it should check BPF API through
kernel source where you are using to build perf...

I guess you are not using NFS or share it with other people?

>> Makefile:191: recipe for target 'elfdep' failed
>> make[2]: *** [elfdep] Error 255
>> make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>> Makefile:194: recipe for target 'bpfdep' failed
>> make[2]: *** [bpfdep] Error 255
>> Makefile.perf:434: recipe for target '/tmp/build/perf/libbpf.a' failed
>> make[1]: *** [/tmp/build/perf/libbpf.a] Error 2
>> make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>>    LD       /tmp/build/perf/libperf-in.o
>> Makefile:87: recipe for target 'install-bin' failed
>> make: *** [install-bin] Error 2
>> make: Leaving directory '/home/git/linux/tools/perf'
>>
>>   Performance counter stats for 'make O=/tmp/build/perf -C tools/perf
>> install-bin':
>>
>>      10,265,920,369      cycles
>>
>>         3.002799545 seconds time elapsed
>>
>> [acme@zoo linux]$
>>

>> If I go and try doing a clean on the libbpf dir I see another problem:
>>
>> [acme@zoo linux]$ cd tools/lib/bpf
>> [acme@zoo bpf]$ make clean
>>
>> Auto-detecting system features:
>> ...                        libelf: [ OFF ]
>> ...                           bpf: [ OFF ]
>>
>>    CLEAN    libbpf
>>    CLEAN    core-gen
>> [acme@zoo bpf]$
>>
>> No need for feature detection when doing a plain 'make clean', right?

Right. It should be

$ cd tools/lib/bpf
$ make clean
   CLEAN    libbpf
   CLEAN    core-gen
$

After cleaning can you trigger this problem again?