Date:	Mon, 23 Nov 2015 16:13:06 -0800
From:	Stephen Boyd <sboyd@...eaurora.org>
To:	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
Cc:	linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org,
	Nicolas Pitre <nicolas.pitre@...aro.org>,
	Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@...aro.org>,
	Måns Rullgård <mans@...sr.com>,
	Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@....linux.org.uk>,
	"linux-arm-msm@...r.kernel.org" <linux-arm-msm@...r.kernel.org>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Christopher Covington <cov@...eaurora.org>,
	Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@...aro.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/3] ARM: Use udiv/sdiv for __aeabi_{u}idiv library
 functions

On 11/23, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> Ok, thanks for the confirmation.
>
> Summarizing what we've found, I think we can get away with just
> introducing two Kconfig symbols ARCH_MULTI_V7VE and CPU_V7VE.
> Most CPUs fall clearly into one category or the other, and then
> we can allow LPAE to be selected for V7VE-only build but not
> for plain V7, and we can unconditionally build the kernel with
>
> arch-$(CONFIG_CPU_32v7VE)  = -D__LINUX_ARM_ARCH__=7 $(call cc-option,-march=armv7ve,-march=armv7-a -mcpu=cortex-a15)

This causes compiler spew for me:

  warning: switch -mcpu=cortex-a15 conflicts with -march=armv7-a switch

Removing -march=armv7-a from there makes it quiet.

Also, it's sort of feels wrong to have -mcpu in a place where
we're exclusively doing -march. Perhaps the fallback should be
bog standard -march=armv7-a? (or the fallback for that one
"-march=armv5t -Wa$(comma)-march=armv7-a")?

a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project