Date:	Wed, 02 Dec 2015 13:18:35 +0100
From:	Johannes Thumshirn <jthumshirn@...e.de>
To:	Eric Wheeler <bcache@...ts.ewheeler.net>,
	Kent Overstreet <kmo@...erainc.com>
Cc:	linux-bcache@...r.kernel.org, Zheng Liu <wenqing.lz@...bao.com>,
	Joshua Schmid <jschmid@...e.com>,
	Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>,
	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>,
	Zheng Liu <gnehzuil.liu@...il.com>, manover@...il.com,
	g2p.code@...il.com, stefan.bader@...onical.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [PULL REQUEST]: bcache stability patches

On Sun, 2015-11-29 at 20:13 -0800, Eric Wheeler wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Please pull this bcache branch with stability patches and see if it fixes
> any issue that you might have!  If you have stability patches (*that you
> have tested*) which are not part of this branch, then please forward them
> so they can be included.
>
> We have been using bcache with great performance and stability for over a
> year; it is the best SSD caching mechanism that we have found for our
> workload.
>
> I've been collecting these fixes for a while now and just put them up on
> github so they can be easily merged.  I continue to see mailing list
> discussions about problems that users are having which these patches
> address, so hopefully we can get these merged:
>
>   https://github.com/ewheelerinc/linux/commits/bcache-patches-for-3.17
>   git add remote ewheelerinc https://github.com/ewheelerinc/linux.git
>   git fetch ewheelerinc
>   git merge ewheelerinc/bcache-patches-for-3.17
>
> This branch is from a clone of Linus's tree circa 3.17-rc so git merge
> should bring this in cleanly to any later branch.  This will merge cleanly
> into kernel.org longerm versions v4.1.13 and v3.18.24.  The original
> author is cited in each commit; you are being Cc'ed in this email if you
> are an author on any of these patches or are part of a mailing list thread
> indicating problems that this pull may fix.

I just did a test merge on the patches against today's master and I had no
merge conflicts. The overall diff looks reasonable as well and it builds w/o
any warnings.

Just pulling them straight in won't be a good idea though, as the From: always
points to Eric, that needs to be fixed up (but that's all just mechanics).

> Each commit includes `Cc: stable@...r.kernel.org` so if they get pulled
> into mainline we will see bcache stable on the newer LTS branches of
> kernel.org.
>
> This git branch includes patches that have been collected and tested by
> Denis Bychkov from his post on 2015-09-16 with one exception: the
> refill_dirty() patch has been updated to the latest stable version which
> Kent posted the next day.  The refill_dirty patch addresses issues when
> bcache is backed by raid5/6 md's causing
> queue_limits->partial_stripes_expensive to be nonzero.
>

> Kent,
>
> Can this be sent to Jens for a pull into mainline?  If you can give your
> OK on this patchset then I'll approach Jens and see if he can pull this
> in.  Maybe Cc him in your response.
>
> If there's anything in here that you would like to omit or change from
> this pull then let me know and I'll rebase.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Eric

Kent, can you please merge these patches? There are people out there actually
using bcache and these patches aren't just cosmetics.

Thanks a lot for collecting these patches Eric.
	Johannes