Date:	Wed, 16 Dec 2015 16:54:06 +0100
From:	"Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@...il.com>
To:	Darren Hart <dvhart@...radead.org>
	Daniel Wagner <wagi@...om.org>,
	Anton Blanchard <anton@...ba.org>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>,
	Jonathan Wakely <jwakely@...hat.com>,
	Mike Frysinger <vapier@...too.org>
Subject: Re: futex(3) man page, final draft for pre-release review

Hello Darren,

On 12/15/2015 10:18 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 02:43:50PM +0100, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:

[...]

>>        When executing a futex operation that requests to block a thread,
>>        the kernel will block only if the futex word has the  value  that
>>        the  calling  thread  supplied  (as  one  of the arguments of the
>>        futex() call) as the expected value of the futex word.  The load‐
>>        ing  of the futex word's value, the comparison of that value with
>>        the expected value, and the actual blocking  will  happen  atomi‐
>>
>> FIXME: for next line, it would be good to have an explanation of
>> "totally ordered" somewhere around here.
>>
>>        cally  and totally ordered with respect to concurrently executing
>
> Totally ordered with respect futex operations refers to semantics of the
> ACQUIRE/RELEASE operations and how they impact ordering of memory reads and
> writes. The kernel futex operations are protected by spinlocks, which ensure
> that that all operations are serialized with respect to one another.
>
> This is a lot to attempt to define in this document. Perhaps a reference to
> linux/Documentation/memory-barriers.txt as a footnote would be sufficient? Or
> perhaps for this manual, "serialized" would be sufficient, with a footnote
> regarding "totally ordered" and a pointer to the memory-barrier documentation?

I think I'll just settle for writing serialized in the man page, and be
done with it :-).

>>        futex operations on the same futex word.  Thus, the futex word is
>>        used to connect the synchronization in user space with the imple‐
>>        mentation of blocking by the kernel.  Analogously  to  an  atomic
>>        compare-and-exchange  operation  that  potentially changes shared
>>        memory, blocking via a futex is an atomic compare-and-block oper‐
>>        ation.

>>    Futex operations
>>        The futex_op argument consists of two parts: a command that spec‐
>>        ifies  the  operation to be performed, bit-wise ORed with zero or
>>        or more options that modify the behaviour of the operation.   The
>>        options that may be included in futex_op are as follows:

>>        FUTEX_CLOCK_REALTIME (since Linux 2.6.28)
>>               This   option   bit   can   be   employed  only  with  the
>>               FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET and FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI operations.
>
> That caught me by surprise, but it's true. We reject FUTEX_WAIT |
> FUTEX_CLOCK_REALTIME, even though FUTEX_WAIT treated as FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET with
> val3=FUTEX_BITSET_MATCH_ANY.

You uncover all sorts of interesting stuff when you document APIs ;-).

> Thomas, this looks like an oversight to me - do you recall if we intentionally
> disallow FUTEX_CLOCK_REALTIME with FUTEX_WAIT?
>
>>               If this option is set, the kernel  treats  timeout  as  an
>>               absolute time based on CLOCK_REALTIME.
>>
>>               If  this  option  is not set, the kernel treats timeout as
>>               relative time, measured against the CLOCK_MONOTONIC clock.

>>    Priority-inheritance futexes

>>        *  If  the lock is owned and there are threads contending for the
>>           lock, then the FUTEX_WAITERS bit shall be  set  in  the  futex
>>           word's value; in other words, this value is:
>>
>>               FUTEX_WAITERS | TID
>>

>>           (Note that is invalid for a PI futex word to have no owner and
>
>                       ^ it
>
>>           FUTEX_WAITERS set.)
>
>>        FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI (since Linux 2.6.18)
>>               This operation tries to acquire the futex at uaddr.  It is
>>               invoked when a user-space atomic acquire did  not  succeed
>>               because the futex word was not 0.
>>

>> FIXME(Next sentence) The wording "The trylock in kernel" below
>> needs clarification. Suggestions?
>>
>>               The trylock in kernel might succeed because the futex word
>
> The lock acquisition might succeed in the kernel because the futex word

Already did some rewording here which I think makes things better.

>>               contains     stale     state     (FUTEX_WAITERS     and/or
>>               FUTEX_OWNER_DIED).   This can happen when the owner of the
>>               futex died.  User space cannot handle this condition in  a
>>               race-free  manner,  but  the  kernel  can  fix this up and
>>               acquire the futex.
>>
>>               The uaddr2, val, timeout, and val3 arguments are ignored.

>>    EXAMPLE
>>
>> FIXME I think it would be helpful here to say a few more words about
>>       the difference(s) between FUTEX_LOCK_PI and FUTEX_TRYLOCK_PI.
>>       Can someone propose something?
>
> Hrm. It seems pretty straightforward to me. I guess I'm too close to it. What
> about it seems unclear and needs clarification?

On reflection, I agree that the difference is perhaps well-enough explained.

Thanks for the comments, Darren.

Cheers,

Michael

--