Date:	Wed, 23 Dec 2015 10:21:24 -0200
From:	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@....samsung.com>
To:	Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...asonboard.com>
Cc:	Javier Martinez Canillas <javier@....samsung.com>,
	Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu>,
	linux-media@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: next-20151222 - compile failure in
 drivers/media/usb/uvc/uvc_driver.c

Em Wed, 23 Dec 2015 01:07:31 +0200
Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...asonboard.com> escreveu:

> Hi Mauro,
>
> On Tuesday 22 December 2015 16:33:50 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> > > Thank you for the fix.
> > >
> > > I know this is an unpopular request, but can't we make this MC rework
> > > series bisectable ? We're introducing bugs, which is unavoidable given
> > > the scope of the change, and I'm really worried about how difficult we'll
> > > make it to debug them if we keep piling even compilation fixes on top.
> > >
> > > I can spend a day this week rebasing the patches myself if that could
> > > help.
> >
> > Laurent,
> >
> > The problem is that those patches got merged already at media_tree,
> > at the media-controller topic branch.
> >
> > Any rebase there will break the git copies from all developers that are
> > based on it. It will also break the trees at linuxtv.org, since the
> > developer trees share objects with media_tree.git, in order to save
> > space on the servers.
>
> But that branch hasn't been merged to master, so it doesn't have to be the one
> we send upstream, does it ? I'm willing to spend time working on the patches
> if it can help.

My plan is to send the topic branch on a separate pull request and only
merge it back at master after -rc1.

Yet, as far as I'm aware, the is only one patch that caused compilation
breakages (and only when !CONFIG_MEDIA_CONTROLLER). It should be pretty
easy to fold this patch with the two fixup patches. My plan is to do it
just before sending a pull request. So, no need for you to do the rebase.

Yet, as you said you have some spare time, it would be great if you
could test the MC with the drivers whose I don't have hardware access,
in order to check that there's no regression when using the existing
ioctl:
	- vsp1
	- xilinux
	- staging/davinci_vpfe

Also, with regards to staging/omap4iss, I tried to test it on a
Pandaboard, but the driver seems to be broken/incomplete, as it
doesn't have the required pdata to allow testing it, nor it has
been converted to DT. This seems to be a known issue:
	https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg89247.html

so, I guess we should add a "depends on BROKEN" for staging/omap4iss
until someone converts it to DT and adds the needed bindings.

Regards,
Mauro