Date:	Wed, 13 Jan 2016 00:29:35 +0200
From:	Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...asonboard.com>
To:	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@....samsung.com>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL for v4.5-rc1] media controller next gen patch series

Hello Mauro and Linus,

On Tuesday 12 January 2016 08:43:28 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Hi Linus,
>
> That's the second part of the media patches. It contains the media
> controller next generation patches, with is the result of one year of
> discussions and development. It also contains patches to enable media
> controller support at the DVB subsystem.
>
> The goal is to improve the media controller to allow proper support for
> other types of Video4Linux devices (radio and TV ones) and to extend the
> media controller functionality to allow it to be used by other subsystems
> like DVB, ALSA and IIO.
>
> In order to use the new functionality, a new ioctl is needed
> (MEDIA_IOC_G_TOPOLOGY). As we're still discussing how to pack the struct
> fields of this ioctl in order to avoid compat32 issues, I decided to add
> a patch at the end of this series commenting out the new ioctl, in order
> to postpone the addition of the new ioctl to the next Kernel version (4.6).
> With that, no userspace visible changes should happen at the media
> controller API, as the existing ioctls are untouched. Yet, it helps
> DVB, ALSA and IIO developers to develop and test the patches adding media
> controller support there, as the core will contain all required internal
> changes to allow adding support for devices that belong to those
> subsystems.

This should already be known to anyone who has followed the discussions
regarding the media controller rework, but, hopefully without the full drama
that "speak now or forever hold your peace" implies, I'd like to express my
concern about this patch series to a wider audience.

First of all I agree, as I believe do all the Linux media developers involved
in this work, that a rework of the media controller framework is needed. The
effort was started by Mauro about a year ago and didn't get the attention it
deserved for around the first six months. I certainly have my share of
responsibility there for not taking enough time to review patches and actively
work on the series.

We met twice face to face with core developers during the last six months to
discuss the rework, both from an in-kernel framework point of view and from a
userspace API point of view. The process was painful but significant
agreements were reached and Mauro went back to the drawing board to rework his
patches.

As Stephen pointed out the series is large, and I believe it hasn't reached
the quality level it deserves. I have reviewed a large part of the initial
patches, and at least part of my comments have been addressed. Unfortunately
the way they were addressed was to pile fixes or rework commits on top of the
series, instead of reworking the original in-development commits. The same
strategy was used to fix build breakages or runtime bugs.

I understand that this strategy comes from a fear of introduces breakages when
rebasing the code and folding fixes in the right locations. However, the end
result is a very large series that (at least last time I checked) breaks
bisection. That alone is a serious issue, as such a large series is bound to
introduce bugs, and making it unbisectable will hurt. Furthermore adding
patches on top of the branch has resulted in a very difficult to review
series. Patches can't be reviewed independently anymore as the base patches
are known to be broken and are fixed later. The only possible strategy to
review such a patch series is to read the overall diff. And with a diffstat
such as "130 files changed, 5237 insertions(+), 1849 deletions(-)" I think we
will all agree that this isn't feasible.

I won't formally nack this pull request as I don't want to send a nuke bomb
and watch the bridges collapse. As someone told me recently, nuke bombs are
only effective if your goal is destruction and fire, and I hope to be more
constructive than that. I would like to restate that the offer I made of
helping with rebasing the series still holds.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart