Date:	Thu, 14 Jan 2016 10:18:46 -0800
From:	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Cc:	Sasha Levin <sasha.levin@...cle.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: timers: HARDIRQ-safe -> HARDIRQ-unsafe lock order detected

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 06:43:16PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 10:05:49AM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > > We can fix that particular issue in the posix-timer code by making the
> > > locking symetric:
> > >
> > > 	rcu_read_lock();
> > > 	spin_lock_irq(timer->lock);

> > > 	spin_unlock_irq(timer->lock);
> > > 	rcu_read_unlock();
> > >
> > > instead of:
> > >
> > > 	rcu_read_lock();
> > > 	spin_lock_irq(timer->lock);
> > > 	rcu_read_unlock();

> > > 	spin_unlock_irq(timer->lock);
> > >
> > > But the question is, whether this is the only offending code path in tree. We
> > > can avoid the hassle by making rtmutex->wait_lock irq safe.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> >
> > Given that the lock is disabling irq, I don't see a problem with
> > extending the RCU read-side critical section to cover the entire
> > irq-disabled region.
>
> I cannot follow here. What would be different if the lock would not disable
> irqs? I mean you can get preempted right after rcu_read_lock() before
> acquiring the spinlock.

I was thinking in terms of the fact that disabling irqs would block the
grace period for the current implementation of RCU (but -not- SRCU, just
for the record).  You are right that the new version can be preempted
just after the rcu_read_lock() but the same is true of the old pattern
as well.  To avoid this possibility of preemption, the code would need
to look something like this:

	local_irq_disable();
	rcu_read_lock();
	spin_lock(timer->lock);

	spin_unlock(timer->lock);
	rcu_read_unlock();
	local_irq_enable();

> > Your point about the hassle of finding and fixing all the other instances of
> > this sort is well taken, however.
>
> Right. We have the pattern
>
>      rcu_read_lock();
>      x = lookup();
>      if (x)
> 	   keep_hold(x)
>      rcu_read_unlock();
>      return x;
>
> all over the place. Now that keep_hold() can be everything from a refcount to
> a spinlock and I'm not sure that we can force stuff depending on the mechanism
> to be completely symetric. So we are probably better off by making that rcu
> unlock machinery more robust.

OK.  If I read the lockdep reports correctly, the issue occurs
when rcu_read_unlock_special() finds that it needs to unboost,
which means doing an rt_mutex_unlock().  This is done outside of
rcu_read_unlock_special()'s irq-disabled region, but of course the caller
might have disabled irqs.

If I remember correctly, disabling irqs across rt_mutex_unlock() gets
me lockdep splats.

I could imagine having a per-CPU pointer to rt_mutex that
rcu_read_unlock() sets, and that is checked at every point that irqs
are enabled, with a call to rt_mutex_unlock() if that pointer is non-NULL.

But perhaps you had something else in mind?

							Thanx, Paul