Date:	Fri, 15 Jan 2016 09:47:01 -0700
From:	Jeff Merkey <linux.mdb@...il.com>
To:	Mahmood Naderan <mahmood.nt@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Understanding IO architecture

On 1/15/16, Jeff Merkey <linux.mdb@...il.com> wrote:
>> On 1/15/16, Mahmood Naderan <mahmood.nt@...il.com> wrote:
>>> What is the good starting point to understand linux kernel? I know you
>>> are going to say Understanding the Linux Kernel, but that is for 2005!
>>> and kernel 2.6.
>>>
>>> We know that currently, the latest version is 4.4 and the version
>>> number updates quickly. So, where can I find the core of IO
>>> architecture, page cache, block layer and ... for the most stable
>>> architecture and not the version number?
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Mahmood
>>>

>> Man, it's huge and linux has evolved into a giant jump table these
>> days.  I started programming on it in the 2.2 days and it was fairly
>> sophisticated them.  You could start
>> with reviewing what's in the /kernel directory.  For I/O study the bio
>> architecture.  FOr block layer start in drivers/block.
>>
>> Your best bet is to clone it, get yourself a good kernel debugger to
>> step through code and explore how things work.
>>
>> start by cloning it so you have your own copy.  Download and install
>> git then clone Linus' tree.
>>
>> git clone
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
>>
>> Then you can also get the linux-stable tree which has all the stable
>> versions of Linux
>>
>> git clone
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
>>
>> if you need a good kernel debugger, try this one
>>
>> http://jeffmerkey.github.io
>
> thats http://jeffmerkey.github.io/linux
>

>> Jeff

If you have questions post them here.  They may get lost in the noise
but if I'm around I'll try to help you.  I know linux fairly well, but
it changes a lot and I do know the areas you asked about and can help
you.

Have fun. Don't get put off by folks seeming to ignore you, people are
just very busy and most of them totally immersed in fixing their own
areas but there are a few of us who will respond to you.

Jeff