Date:	Thu, 21 Jan 2016 01:34:57 +0900
From:	Taeung Song <taeung.dev@...il.com>
To:	Namhyung Kim <namhyung@...nel.org>
Cc:	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...nel.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...nel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>,
	Stephane Eranian <eranian@...gle.com>,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	Wang Nan <wangnan0@...wei.com>,
	Don Zickus <dzickus@...hat.com>,
	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...nel.org>,
	Moinuddin Quadri <moin18@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCHSET 00/17] perf tools: Add support for hierachy view
 (v2)

Hi, Namhyung

On 01/21/2016 12:08 AM, Namhyung Kim wrote:
> Hi Taeung,
>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 04:49:29PM +0900, Taeung Song wrote:

>>> Yeah, we already have --no-hierarchy (as a side effect of having
>>> --hierarchy) but I don't want to change the default now since existing
>>> users will complain.  Now we have 'tips' in the perf report browser,
>>> maybe it's enough to add a line to suggest to use it (and it's already
>>> done by this patchset).  I remember the time we changed default for
>>> '--children' and many people complained about it.
>>>
>>> We maybe change the default later but I think it's better to have some
>>> time to people can play with it and find it useful. :)  And, as always,
>>> we can have a config option to control the default.
>>
>> If adding this config option,
>> can this be included in 'hist' section ?
>> If it isn't, 'report' and 'top' section ?
>> i.e.
>>
>> [report]
>>      hierarchy = true
>> [top]
>>      hierarchy = false
>
> Either is fine.  But as we already have report.children and
> top.children, I'd follow the convention.  Also I think we should set
> priority of the two configs - children and hierarchy.  IMHO hierarchy
> should be considered first.
>
> Or maybe we could have 'report.output-default' being one of
> 'hierarchy', 'children', or 'normal'.  This way we can set the default
> behavior easily including possible future changes.

Oh, IMHO I think the latter is better than the former.
If using 'report.output-default' instead of 'report.children'
and 'report.hierarchy' etc integrating the configs,
it seems to be tidy.
Whatever this config variables will be set as,
after this patchset are merged I'll ask about this configs, again.

Thanks,
Taeung