Date:	Mon, 25 Jan 2016 16:53:09 +0200
From:	Ville Syrjälä <ville.syrjala@...ux.intel.com>
To:	Mario Kleiner <mario.kleiner.de@...il.com>
Cc:	Michel Dänzer <michel@...nzer.net>,
	Alex Deucher <alexander.deucher@....com>,
	Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@...e.cz>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org,
	Christian König <christian.koenig@....com>
Subject: Re: linux-4.4 bisected: kwin5 stuck on kde5 loading screen with
 radeon

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 02:44:53PM +0100, Mario Kleiner wrote:

> On 01/25/2016 02:23 PM, Ville Syrjälä wrote:

> >> I suspect it is because vblank_disable_and_save calls
> >> drm_update_vblank_count() unconditionally, even if vblank irqs are
> >> already off.
> >>
> >> So on a manual display disable -> reenable you get something like
> >>
> >> At disable:
> >>
> >> Call to dpms-off --> atombios_crtc_dpms(DPMS_OFF) --> drm_vblank_off ->
> >> vblank_disable_and_save -> irqs off, drm_update_vblank_count() computes
> >> final count.
> >>
> >> Then the crtc is shut down and its hw counter resets to zero.
> >>
> >> At reenable:
> >>
> >> Modesetting -> drm_crtc_helper_set_mode -> crtc_funcs->prepare(crtc) ->
> >> atombios_crtc_prepare() -> atombios_crtc_dpms(DPMS_OFF) ->
> >> drm_vblank_off -> vblank_disable_and_save -> A pointless
> >> drm_update_vblank_count() while the hw counter is already reset to zero
> >> --> Unwanted counter jump.
> >>

> >> The problem doesn't happen on a pure modeset to a different video
> >> resolution/refresh rate, as then we only have one call into
> >> atombios_crtc_dpms(DPMS_OFF).
> >>
> >> I think the fix is to fix vblank_disable_and_save() to only call
> >> drm_update_vblank_count() if vblank irqs get actually disabled, not on
> >> no-op calls. I will try that now.
> >
> > It does that on purpose. Otherwise the vblank counter would appear to
> > have stalled while the interrupt was off.
> >

> Ok, that's what the comments there say, although i don't see atm. why
> that perceived stall would be a big problem. I checked all callers of
> vblank_disable_and_save(). They are all careful to not call that
> function if vblanks are already disabled. The only exception is
> drm_vblank_off(). If drm_vblank_off/on is supposed to protect kms
> drivers which have resetting hw counters or other problematic behaviour
> during modesets etc. then this will break. E.g., calling the vblank
> timestamping stuff is also not safe/well-defined during modesets when
> the timestamping constants are not (yet) updated to reflect the new mode
> timing of the modeset in progress.

The idea is to maintain the appearance that the counter ticks all the
time as long as the crtc is active. While that may not be really
required in case if no one is currently interested in the vblank
counter, I think it's a nice thing to have just to make the behaviour
of the counter consistent.

As far as calling drm_vblank_off() after the hw counter got reset, well,
that not correct. It should be called before the reset.

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel OTC