Date:	Thu, 11 Feb 2016 10:06:35 +0100
From:	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
To:	Martin Kepplinger <martink@...teo.de>
Cc:	david.henningsson@...onical.com, han.lu@...el.com,
	libin.yang@...el.com, treding@...dia.com, perex@...ex.cz,
	alsa-devel@...a-project.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] [REGRESSION] [BISECTED] -rc1 breaks audio over HDMI for i915

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 18:21:11 +0100,
Martin Kepplinger wrote:

> Am 2016-02-09 um 12:44 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> > On Tue, 09 Feb 2016 07:34:48 +0100,
> > Martin Kepplinger wrote:
> >>
> >> The following change:
> >>
> >> 788d441 ALSA: hda - Use component ops for i915 HDMI/DP audio jack handling
> >>
> >> breaks audio over HDMI on my snd_hda_intel laptop. It is the first bad
> >> commit.
> >>
> >> This was merged for -rc1 and isn't fixed until now, so I got nervous.
> >> There are
> >> no errors in the log that stand out. I'm no sound or alsa developer, and
> >> just reverting it isn't easy since there is stuff depending on this.
> >>
> >> I'm happy to test possible fixes and hope v4.5 not to ship with such a big
> >> regression ;)
> >
> > Could you give a bit more detail about your hardware?  At best, give
> > alsa-info.sh output (run with --no-upload option).  Also, give the
> > output of dmesg, too.
> >
> > In addition, what shows /proc/asound/card*/eld#*.* files?  Does any of
> > it show the proper connection state and ELD?
>
> alsa-info and dmesg are appended, and
>
> root@...top:/home/martin/dev# cat /proc/asound/card*/eld#*
> monitor_present		0
> eld_valid		0

OK, then could you put some debug print in intel_pin_eld_notify() in
sound/pci/hda/patch_hdmi.c?  This is the callback to be called by i915
driver at enabling / disabling HDMI/DP audio.
(Also, to be sure, check whether snd_hdac_i915_register_notifier() in
 sound/hda/hda_i915.c is called, too.)

If intel_pin_eld_notify() is registered but never called, it implies
something wrong in i915 driver side.  If it gets called, we need to
track down: what port value was passed there, and how
hdmi_present_sense() and sync_eld_via_acomp() behave there.

thanks,

Takashi