Date:	Sat, 13 Feb 2016 17:08:49 +0100
From:	Stanislav Kinsburskiy <skinsbursky@...tuozzo.com>
To:	Ian Kent <raven@...maw.net>,
	Stanislav Kinsbursky <skinsbursky@...allels.com>,
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>
CC:	Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com>,
	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
	<linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org>, <devel@...nvz.org>, <oleg@...hat.com>,
	<bfields@...ldses.org>, <bharrosh@...asas.com>
Subject: Re: call_usermodehelper in containers

13.02.2016 00:39, Ian Kent пишет:
> On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 15:54 +0400, Stanislav Kinsbursky wrote:

>>> I don't understand that one.  Having a preforked thread with the
>>> proper
>>> environment that can act like kthreadd in terms of spawning user
>>> mode
>>> helpers works and is simple.  The only downside I can see is that
>>> there
>>> is extra overhead.
>>>
>> What do you mean by "simple" here? Simple to implement?
>> We already have a preforked thread, called "UMH", used exactly for
>> this purpose.
> Is there?
>
> Can you explain how the pre-forking happens please?
>
> AFAICS a workqueue is used to run UMH helpers, I can't see any pre
> -forking going on there and it doesn't appear to be possible to do
> either.

Hi Ian,
I'm not sure, I understand your question.
But there is a generic "khelper" thread, which is responsible for
spawning new kthreads to execute some binary, requested by user.
IOW, when you want to use UMH, you add a request to "khelper" workqueue,
which, in turn, creates another thread. The new one call init callback
and does the actual execve call.