Date:	Sun, 14 Feb 2016 22:21:50 -0600
From:	Michael Welling <mwelling@...e.org>
To:	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Cc:	Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@...aro.org>,
	Roland Dreier <rolandd@...co.com>,
	kernel test robot <ying.huang@...ux.intel.com>, lkp@...org,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
	Markus Pargmann <mpa@...gutronix.de>,
	Johan Hovold <johan@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [lkp] [gpio] 3c702e9987:
 kmsg.user_verbs:couldn't_register_device_number

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 03:49:54PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 01:51:20PM -0600, Michael Welling wrote:

> > > That's fine with me.  I also think maybe we should look into just
> > > switching all char major/minor allocation to be dynamic, starting at the
> > > bottom and moving up.  I think the only tools that might have an issue
> > > with that is the raw device controller, but maybe that has been fixed up
> > > in userspace, I haven't looked at that in many years.
> > >

> > Is there any reason for the CHRDEV_MAJOR_HASH_SIZE being 255?
> > If we increase the size to say 511 will it break userspace?
>
> No, that's an internal thing, but I don't see what that has to do with
> this...
>
> > In the future I see a robot building a kernel with more that 255 devices and
> > having to deal with this kind of collision again.
>
> We handle major numbers larger than 255 already...
>
> > The handling of large major assignment baffles me.
>
> It's tricky, messy, and something you don't want to touch, seriously...

Doh... I see now that each entry in the table is a list.

But then the dynamic allocation only looks for a NULL entry in the table.
So the limitation appears to be 255 dynamically allocated devices so still
has something to do with this.

Another simpler alternate to going completely dynamic is allocate dynamically
starting at an offset outside of the fixed range and just increment the major
on a first come first serve basis.

I guess that the current number would have to be stored somewhere.

Does this make sense or am I still not understanding how this works?