Date:	Thu, 18 Feb 2016 07:40:24 +0100
From:	Andreas Mohr <andi@...as.de>
To:	clemens@...isch.de, hpa@...or.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	tglx@...utronix.de, corbet@....net, arnd@...db.de,
	peterz@...radead.org, mingo@...nel.org, gregkh@...uxfoundation.org,
	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, mst@...hat.com
Cc:	linux-tip-commits@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [tip:x86/urgent] hpet: Drop stale URLs

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 04:14:54AM -0800, tip-bot for Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Commit-ID:  4e7f9df25874cedbbc604a5c5c2e7a6efe662387
> Gitweb:     http://git.kernel.org/tip/4e7f9df25874cedbbc604a5c5c2e7a6efe662387
> Author:     Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@...hat.com>
> AuthorDate: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 01:05:01 +0200
> Committer:  Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
> CommitDate: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 09:39:56 +0100
>
> hpet: Drop stale URLs
>
> Looks like the HPET spec at intel.com got moved.
> It isn't hard to find so drop the link, just mention
> the revision assumed.

While URLs unfortunately often are less permanent than possibly intended
(details see useful entire sub content of
"Aw: Re: Checkout hangs on invalid external URL"
  http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2015-11/0027.shtml)
and thus too often need to be updated or even removed as a consequence,
I feel that once an URL as a very reliable reference has been lost,
naming of a file likely is the next most reliable fallback reference
(to at least have feeding into an Internet search engine
as the next fallback step).
An alternative/second reference
would have been listing the full title of this existing document, too.

Thus I'm questioning whether the exact file name
should in fact be removed here (at 3 locations even) by this commit,
while at least usefully adding
a (albeit somewhat weak) reference of "revision 1".

>  The High Precision Event Timer (HPET) hardware follows a specification
> -by Intel and Microsoft which can be found at
> -
> -	http://www.intel.com/hardwaredesign/hpetspec_1.pdf
> +by Intel and Microsoft, revision 1.

Oh, and I noticed as a curiosity (or so I thought)
that this cleanup-style work is (to be made?) part of "x86/urgent",
which I didn't expect to be defined as topically related.

Thanks,

Andreas Mohr