Date:	Thu, 18 Feb 2016 22:51:29 +1100
From:	Ross Green <rgkernel@...il.com>
To:	Paul McKenney <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Cc:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, mingo@...nel.org,
	jiangshanlai@...il.com, dipankar@...ibm.com,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org,
	Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com>,
	josh@...htriplett.org, tglx@...utronix.de, rostedt@...dmis.org,
	dhowells@...hat.com, Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
	dvhart@...ux.intel.com,
	Frédéric Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	oleg@...hat.com, pranith kumar <bobby.prani@...il.com>
Subject: Re: rcu_preempt self-detected stall on CPU from 4.5-rc3, since 3.17

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Paul E. McKenney
<paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:28:29PM -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

>> > Your case was special in that is was hotplug triggering it, right?
>>
>> Yes, it has thus far only shown up with CPU hotplug enabled.
>>
>> > I was auditing the hotplug paths involved when I fell ill two weeks ago,
>> > and have not really made any progress on that because of that :/
>>
>> I have always said that being sick is bad for one's health, but I didn't
>> realize that it could be bad for the kernel's health as well.  ;-)
>>
>> > I'll go have another look, I had a vague feeling for a race back then,
>> > lets see if I can still remember how..
>>
>> I believe that I can -finally- get an ftrace_dump() to happen within
>> 10-20 milliseconds of the problem, which just might be soon enough
>> after the problem to gather some useful information.  I am currently
>> testing this theory with "ftrace trace_event=sched_waking,sched_wakeup"
>> boot arguments on a two-hour run.
>
> And apparently another way to greatly reduce the probability of this
> bug occurring is to enable ftrace.  :-/
>
> Will try longer runs.
>
>                                                         Thanx, Paul
>
>> If this works out, what would be a useful set of trace events for me
>> to capture?
>>
>>                                                       Thanx, Paul

Well managed to catch this one on linux-4.5-rc4.

Took over 3 days and 7 hours to hit.

Same test as before, boot, run a series of simple benchmarks and then
let the machine just idle away.

As before, the reported stall, AND everything keeps on running as if
nothing had happened.

I notice in the task dump for both the cpus, the swapper is running on
both cpus.

does that make any sense?
There is around 3% of memory actually used.

Anyway, please find attached a copy of the dmesg output.

Hope this helps a few people fill in the missing pieces here.

Regards,

Ross Green

Download attachment "dmesg-4.5-rc4" of type "application/octet-stream" (30353 bytes)