Date:	Thu, 18 Feb 2016 10:44:34 -0200
From:	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@....samsung.com>
To:	Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@...all.nl>
Cc:	Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@...el.com>,
	Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter@...ll.ch>,
	Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>,
	Keith Packard <keithp@...thp.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, linux-doc@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-media@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Kernel docs: muddying the waters a bit

Em Thu, 18 Feb 2016 13:07:03 +0100
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@...all.nl> escreveu:

> On 02/18/16 13:04, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Em Thu, 18 Feb 2016 13:23:37 +0200
> > Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@...el.com> escreveu:

> >> Since I've let myself be told that asciidoc handles tables better than
> >> reStructuredText, I tested this a bit with the presumably inferior one.
> >>
> >> rst has two table types, simple tables and grid tables [1]. It seems
> >> like grid tables can do pretty much anything, but they can be cumbersome
> >> to work with. So I tried to check what can be done with simple tables.
> >>
> >> Here's a sample, converted using rst2html (Sphinx will be prettier, but
> >> rst2html works for simple things like this):
> >>
> >> https://people.freedesktop.org/~jani/v4l-table-within-table.rst
> >> https://people.freedesktop.org/~jani/v4l-table-within-table.html
> >
> > Yes, this would work. Can we remove the border from the main table?
> > I guess it would be nicer.
> >

> >> Rather than using nested tables, you might want to consider using
> >> definition lists within tables:
> >>
> >> https://people.freedesktop.org/~jani/v4l-definition-list-within-table.rst
> >> https://people.freedesktop.org/~jani/v4l-definition-list-within-table.html
> >>
> >> You be the judge, but I think this is workable.
> >
> > It is workable, but I guess nested tables produced a better result.
> >
> > I did myself a test with nested tables with asciidoc too:
> >
> > https://mchehab.fedorapeople.org/media-kabi-docs-test/pandoc_asciidoc/table.html
> > https://mchehab.fedorapeople.org/media-kabi-docs-test/pandoc_asciidoc/table.ascii
> >
> > With looks very decent to me.
>
> It does, except for the vertical alignment of the third column (at least when viewed
> with google chrome).

Not sure what you mean. Here, it looks fine on both Firefox and Chrome,
except that the second colum size could be smaller. If this is what
you're meaning this can be fixed by changing the second line from:

	[width="100%",cols="2,1,10a",options="header",frame="none", grid="none"]

to:

	[width="100%",cols="3,1,30a",options="header",frame="none", grid="none"]

With regards to ReStructured Text, I've no idea how to control the
format of a table in order to do things like hiding the borders and
changing the column spacing.

So, at least on a first glance, asciidoc seems to fit better.

Thanks,
Mauro