Date:	Fri, 4 Mar 2016 14:26:03 +0300
From:	"Kirill A. Shutemov" <kirill@...temov.name>
To:	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-api@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	"Kirill A. Shutemov" <kirill.shutemov@...ux.intel.com>,
	Hugh Dickins <hughd@...gle.com>,
	Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@...hat.com>,
	Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...el.com>,
	Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@...e.cz>,
	Christoph Lameter <cl@...two.org>,
	Naoya Horiguchi <n-horiguchi@...jp.nec.com>,
	Jerome Marchand <jmarchan@...hat.com>,
	Yang Shi <yang.shi@...aro.org>,
	Sasha Levin <sasha.levin@...cle.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: THP-enabled filesystem vs. FALLOC_FL_PUNCH_HOLE

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 07:51:50PM +0300, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> Truncate and punch hole that only cover part of THP range is implemented
> by zero out this part of THP.
>
> This have visible effect on fallocate(FALLOC_FL_PUNCH_HOLE) behaviour.
> As we don't really create hole in this case, lseek(SEEK_HOLE) may have
> inconsistent results depending what pages happened to be allocated.
> Not sure if it should be considered ABI break or not.

Looks like this shouldn't be a problem. man 2 fallocate:

	Within the specified range, partial filesystem blocks are zeroed,
	and whole filesystem blocks are removed from the file.  After a
	successful call, subsequent reads from this range will return
	zeroes.

It means we effectively have 2M filesystem block size.

And I don't see any guarantee about subsequent lseek(SEEK_HOLE) beheviour.

--
 Kirill A. Shutemov